Catalytic Converter

embalmer41

Hey guys, got a question. How hard is it to replace a catalytic converter. I looked under the car and say that it's a one piece unit welded together. Mine is clogged and i went to the parts store to purchase one and the have different kinds and i was wondering which type of converter does the w-body use. They had the Universal Economy Converter, Universal Premium Converter and the Universal Standard Converter. They also had the Direct fit/OE Exhaust System. I think i might go with the Direct Fit/OE Exhaust system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :shock:

Just hollow it out. Save time and money, and the threat of ever having to do it again, unless you live somewhere that it would cause problems with emissions. I would go with the OEM replacement otherwise.

direct fit is still a pain, its a 1 piece system so your going to be cutting either way. They have catco universal cats on ebay for $50 shipped, cheapest you can get and they work pretty damn good.

the only reason cats fail is because the car isnt running right, usually its just the o2 sensor, but thats an easy fix.