A Good Code Reader

mcanik

Sorry. Let me rephrase I am looking for something that will give me my true speed digitally for 91. I realize I can take it to a shop and get it scanned cheaper than purchasing one but I would like to have my own.

AFAIK ODBI has nothing in its specifaction for what you hoping for from the standard connector. The ODBI spec is purly for trasmitting error codes. You dont get things like speed, sensor readings and fuel level as the ODBI spec lacks an actual serial data interface.

Wire in a HUD? lol.

Actually.. Gearhead43 brought this scan tool over one time, and hooked it up to my GP. It told RPM, coolant temperature, and I SWEAR it said MPH too. I don't remember what that doohickey was called though.

I thought there was one. I used to be a mechanic back in the early to mid 90's and snap-on had that red box thing that I swear read the speed on. that is too much for me to pay though. I was looking around $150-$250 to spend

Actually.. Gearhead43 brought this scan tool over one time, and hooked it up to my GP. It told RPM, coolant temperature, and I SWEAR it said MPH too. I don't remember what that doohickey was called though.

I honestly could be wrong but the ODBI spec and most connectors only have 3 wires a power a ground and a singal wire. The singal sends pulses that equal various P codes

ODBII adds 2 wires for a digital serial interface which is how you read data from the PCM in a detailed manner

• 6 months later...

it was one of those OBD1 tech scanners used back in the heyday of OBD1.. Got it from a GM tech who was selling his old stuff on ebay.. I believe I paid 100 bucks for it and it already had the GM Cartitridge. :willynilly: :lol:

Catching up on old threads, Dave? :lol:

I guess I missed this one last year, because I would have mentioned that yeah, the OBD1 cars do have a serial interface.

You can buy an ALDL interface (usually about $40 or so) hook it up to a laptop, and get all the info you want including speed, tach, sensor readings, idle speed, everything. I built my own for less than $10 in parts plus a $20 molded ALDL cable. The $40 ones I've seen on eBay just have little pins you have to stick into the connector.

I couldn't have figured out how to modify the MEMCAL in the 94 to work with a trip computer without it.