swap '91 basic wheel w/ '94 lthr airbag wheel ???

CutlassSL91

which would be best for '91 square wheel replacement?  

1. 1. which would be best for '91 square wheel replacement?

• '94-'97 lthr wheel
    • '89-'93 lthr/controls wheel

What would it take to replace my ugly '91 steering wheel (the basic universal olds one) with a nice 1994-97 leather wheel (maybe even with the buttons)? Steering column replacement? I hope not!

Pretty sure the wheel will just bolt right on, but the airbag and buttons would not be fuctional. Not sure what would be needed for them to work... at least the signal light switch if not more.

The wheel will bolt right up and the horn will work, but you'd definitely need the airbag clockspring to get the SWC's to work. There's probably zero chance that would fit on the old "square" column, though. The "saginaw" columns (the 94-96's) that had the airbags have a special "tang" to keep the body of the clockspring from moving, which I'm certain the older columns do not (otherwise they'd have continued to use those columns when airbags were introduced.)

do you have the square universal olds one or the wing style? If you have the wing style, i'd just put the button wheel in the square arrangement in...since it will look factory.

My '88 had a leather wrapped wheel with no buttons on it...it was the square style.

The air bag wheel is rounded on the back and would look very out of place...I would definately go for a Grant or LeCarra aftermarket wheel long before the air bag one, since it is so large and bulky. Try autocrossing a car with one of those air bag wheels and you'll know why.

On my '70 Duster, it came with a 17" steering wheel (probably because they came without power steering...mine has it though), and I put a 13" Grant GT #773 wheel on it and loved how much nicer the steering wheel feel is.

I always wanted to swap a 00+ GP steering wheel into my car, but to somehow get the airbag functioning properly.

And it's not like you can easily test to make sure it works either...

I love the wheel on my Euro lol, tad to big around, but it's okay, much better then the wheel in my Dad's Taurus...I don't mind the wheel in my dad's Suburban though...Wheels that have the "rim" part sticking out from the "parts attching it to the center" I love the best, mainly because I palm the steering wheel all the time, and the ones that are pretty much flat are much more difficult for me to palm I find...especially the leather wheel in my mom's CL...I hate that wheel!

I'm not sure but I'm guessing that the Olds wheels are gonna be similar to the GP wheels, with that in mind I voted for the older style. I don't like the "bulkyness" of my 95 wheel compared to the on I had in my 88. It's like a big ugly pillow.

I think the olds wheels are even bulkier then the pontiac ones. Sure as hell looks like it.

I love the wheels that Kevin posted...but it would be pretty hard to find one without the leather curled over like those.

I'd probobly go with a leather wrapped wing style steering wheel, unless you really intend to wire up the SWCs.

The thing that really irks me about my 94 is that the damn wheel blocks most of the airflow from the two vents around the steering column. Makes it real obvious that the either the interior wasn't designed for the wheel or the wheel wasn't designed for the interior....so I wouldn't reccomend it for your car.

I love that wing wheel too, I was trying to find a pic to post earlier but couldn't. I think they're a little more rare, since most upper level Cutlasses got the wheel controls instead of that wheel.

I've seen that wing wheel so many times, and I honestly think it's ugly. I like my 94 wheel and dash, but then again I'm weird.

:withstupid:

Our '90 Cutlass has that wing style wheel...light grey and leather wrapped...Its the only thing i don't like about the interior.

The 94-97 wheel is horrible with the 88-94 interior.

Are you going to try to get the airbag to work? Because that would be the only reason I'd bother with it.

The 94-97 wheel blocks the vents. The only thing getting warm in the winter or cool in the summer will be your fingers. Go for an 89-93 steering wheel.