Damn, I knew this was coming.

3pt1lumina

So tonight my gas tank took a complete crap on me. I was putting the final tank of gas in before winter because I am taking it off the road tomorrow and all the sudden I smell gas hardcore, next thing I know I hear "running water"... look down and the ground under my feet and car is soaked. Yeah, not good.

It's smelled for awhile now, I knew it was going but it had to go now dammit. When my grandfather had the car, he had a "used" tank put in and they "repaired" the sending unit. That is not happening the next time around......

This time, I'm doing brand new.... gas tank, sending unit, straps, and if need be, the lines as well. Here's my question. Is the fuel pump a part of the sending unit?

Another question, what is all of this stuff going to cost? I have until April to save but I need to get a vague idea. For the same stuff except the fuel pump for my 77 Chevelle it was $230 for all the parts. I'm wondering if that's the same with this or if I'm going to stop eating for a week to pay for this :lol:

thanks guys... ps, don't ignore a gas smell for too long. I did for 3 years and it now it stinks... literally.

I just got my gastank replaced- used one for $80+$60 labor= $160 CAD w/ tax total.

Anyways I'm pretty sure my car already had the tank replaced for whatever reason and the old one simply rusted. Had the same problem on my 88 GP (got a used one put on also, it was fine till I junked it). The 88 leaked on the bottem (right where the strap was) my 95 leaked somewhere on the top. Based on the fact that I've had 2 cars with leaky tanks, the sending units were fine so theres a good chance yours is too. They rust easily. The fuel pump is a seperate part from the sending unit.

I got my car oil-undercoated to help prevent rust from getting at the tank. If I were you I'd just get a good used tank and POR15 it if you want to save some money.

Sending unit should be ok. I say this b/c my Cutlass did the same thing and I was scared that it was going to be bad, but it was perfectly fine.

As for a tank, if your doing the labor yourself you should be able to pick up a new one for around $150.

The tank should be around $150-200 depending on where you get it.

The pump is not part of the sending unit, and can be replaced separately for $60-100.

The sending unit is kinda pricey, so I would only replace it if you feel it neccesary. Spliced wires should be OK as long as they are soldered, and heat shrinked. I think I priced a sending unit at GM for over $100.

Straps might be like $20 or so, just a guess.

Dont' forget a fuel filter to go with your pump, should be $20 or less.

I did it on the '88 and my sister's '94 within a month of eachother...found a local parts store that sold these tanks for $89.99 brand new. On a '90 Lumina, you probably don't have the plastic lines between the hard lines on the body and the sending unit, so they will be surely fun to get apart.

I would not replace the pump unless it is very loud or not working properly...the OEM one is surely higher quality than aftermarket ones. Same goes for the sending unit unless its damaged.

Doing the fuel filter is also a must.

I'd get the PB blaster out right now if i were you. Also, air tools will make getting the front bolts out much easier...you won't be able to get the rear ones out with power tools.

I didn't have air tools when i did it on the 88 and it took like 10 HOURS because of how rusty everything was...i continuously had to stop to get rust out of my eyes

Yes well, I remember helping my friend on his regal. The back ones were a bitch.

as for the fuel pump, it acts fine, so i think i am going to leave it. I can get a tank for $99 brand new and new straps for $22.

my big question was whether or not the pump was a part of the sending unit. On the regal we did it in, we transferred the sending unit right over, basically took it out of the old tank and put it in the new, then re-installed... so i was curious about that. thanks guys!

The pump is not part of the sending unit, and can be replaced separately for $60-100.

The sending unit is kinda pricey, so I would only replace it if you feel it neccesary. Spliced wires should be OK as long as they are soldered, and heat shrinked. I think I priced a sending unit at GM for over $100.

Look on ebay for gas tanks and the straps. I was looking on their out of curiosity one day and seen tanks for less than $100 and straps were pretty reasonable as well on there. I doubt I'll ever need a new tank here in GA, mine still look brand new. :wink:

You know, if you can round up another $100, I'd recommend putting a new fuel pump in while your changing out the tank. When they go, they go quick and it will just be another pain to have to replace the pump AFTER replacing the tank. Might as well do them both at the same time. Just a thought.

You know, if you can round up another $100, I'd recommend putting a new fuel pump in while your changing out the tank. When they go, they go quick and it will just be another pain to have to replace the pump AFTER replacing the tank. Might as well do them both at the same time. Just a thought.

yeah thats exactly what i was thinking originally. I took the car off the road for the winter so this gives me 6 months to save. In April, I'm doing everything then I won't have to worry about dropping the tank for a 3rd time :roll: ... although I didn't put the USED tank in the car.. my grandfather did. stupid move if you ask me