mcanik

Hello all. This is my first post. I did a search and no concrete answer to my question.

My speedometer is reading 140kph and I am actually travelling at 100kph. The transmission shifts great, shifts into OD, engine runs great and cruise control works great. Just the darn speedo is out to lunch. VSS could be a culprit but wouldn't that cause other problems? I have an ohmmeter and want to check to see if the VSS is working correctly. also I would like to hear more on the resistor fix for the speedo if it is broken.

My car is a 1991 GP LE 3.1L 4spd OD auto with an analog gauge.

Thanx in advance

Mc.

Guest Anonymous

The early gauges are extremey unreliable, and chances are your speedo is messed up. It may need to be calibrated, or you may need a new cluster. Chances are it isn;t the VSS.

I just purchased this car last week for $800 Cdn. The reason I got it so low was the control arms (sic) were rotted off the drivers side rear and the brakes were seized up in the back. otherwise is a good solid car. I am not sure if the transmission was ever changed, but I can find out.

I just purchased this car last week for $800 Cdn. The reason I got it so low was the control arms (sic) were rotted off the drivers side rear and the brakes were seized up in the back. otherwise is a good solid car. I am not sure if the transmission was ever changed, but I can find out.

First off, welcome :D

I have the same problem, my speedo reads about 120% of actual. I asked around, but it sounds like it can't be recalibrated.

I am going to install a HUD anyway and use it to test the accuracy of the speedo (as long as the HUD data does not come through the speedo).

Also, funny sig. What type of egineer are you? I'm EE.

I tracked the history of the car for the last 2 years. In that time the transmission was not changed. The speed issue was occuring for at least that long. I am considering soldering an adjustment pot across the speedometer coil in the cluster to try and "slow it down" a bit. I assume it is much like an ohmmeter gauge.

Shudini, I am a PE just starting. 4th class working on my 3rd

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I know it is just the speedometer now. The odometer is reading right on the money. I clocked it next to the highway km markers.

The speedometer must be sprung. I am sure if the millivolt reading was too high out of the microprocessor the odometer would read improperly as well. I am only assuming both are read through the same circuit. Correct me if I am wrong.

Mc. :thumbsup: