Help! Need advice...

Toxie

Hey guys I need your help to figure out where to start looking for a problem with my Prix. I have an '89 Grand Prix with a 3.1 with about 103,000 miles. It has been running great with no problems. get in it today and while setting at a light it just dies, no spitting or sputtering it just acted like someone turned off the ingnition switch! There is plenty of battery to turn over the engine but it does not even try to fire.... :x

Where should I start to look? Would the Coil Pack act like that when it goes out? Computer??

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated,

Thanks a million, :)

Toxie

Ignition module, crank sensor, or ECM (computer).

If there is spark, that rules out the ignition module and crank sensor, so most likely the ECM.

If there is no spark, then it probably is not the ECM.

I just finished changing out crank position sensor, I was getting no spark from any of the plugs. Now running again, worth a try since it was only a $20 part. Good place to start since all the other alternatives are most likely lots more $$. Was not too hard to change out from under the car. Took out the one 8mm bolt then twisted it to make it loose then got a flat head to pry it out a little farther then it pulled out pretty easy.

Yup took out the alternator and found out where the it was by "feel" then also unplugged the connector to it from the top and took the bolt off from the top with a socket and extension only and turned the extension by hand to remove the bolt. But then could not get any leverage on it with my hand or pliers or nothing from the top to pull the sensor out. So got the car on stands climbed under it and looked up right behind the oil pan (might have been the tranny pan can remember now, whichever one is farther back of the two) and it was right there!! Just got a long flat head scrwdriver and jammed it in between and turned so that it came out then just pulled the rest out by hand... Put the new one back in from the bottom too so that I could see what i was doing, the bolt too.