My engine painting project

digitaloutsider

Well, at 0200 I stood outside staring at my engine bay for no real apparent reason when I gazed across my garage and spied a can of black paint. At first, I was tempted to finish my other two rims and quit driving around on mismatched wheels, but instead I felt that the engine bay was just too naked and needed a little dressing up. Plus, I thought that the 96+ intakes just looked like shit compared to the 91-95.

Well, after a few minutes of deliberating if I should further molest my already very raped car, I decided that the best use of my black paint would be to attempt to paint the intakes. Now, I've seen it done a million times over, but really always thought it looked like shit (because someone always painted something else in the bay red, or the car they started with wasn't black itself. I'm a firm believer that red should only be used to accent things under the engine bay (spark plug wires, the "V6" on my injector cover), and NOT to totally give a new shade of color to your underhood shot.

1.jpg

Ah, here's the empty canvas. Your (pretty much) everyday 3.4. It doesn't look too bad, but it doesn't really stand out either. It's time to start taking shit apart. 7 (IIRC) bolts, and the plenum is ready for removal (not counting the 2-3 on the intake pipe). Once I hasseled with the ghetto-rigged MAP sensor, I completely pulled the plenum off.

2.jpg

Ah, here it is with the plenum off. After I finished priming it, I decided it would look pretty stupid with the cam cover still being grey. Never fear, 8mm socket is here! I loosened the five bolts and removed it. Time for more paint!

3.jpg

Here it is with the cam cover removed. Doesn't really look much at all like it did in the first photo. I draped a plastic bag over the open engine and went to town priming and painting both parts. Word of advice: Please do this in an open area like the can suggests. A built-on carport with no real airflow is NOT an open area. I'm the second person on this board to get high in the past week using chemicals on their car. ShockTherapy thought it would be funny for me to kick the Grand Prix while I was in this state of mind. Yeah, I thought it was hilarious for about oh.. 3 seconds. I came down from it that quick. I was very pissed to find a large dent in the passenger side door. Anyhow, the paint dried and it was ready for re-assembly.

Putting it back together went easy enough, except for me forgetting how the MAP sensor went back on (not really the MAP sensor itself, but the other sensor with the red plug. I bolted it on and hoped for the best. I was sure to add a new zip-tie to the MAP plug. Zip-ties: The LQ1 owner's best friend. Once I finished reassembling the intake, it was the moment of truth. I turned the key and started the engine. After a nice 2500k idle, and an SES light, I checked the codes. Code 22. Run back inside to the FAQ section. Code 22 = Low TPS voltage. Thank myself for doing that FAQ question so many moons ago. Reconnect the TPS sensor I somehow missed. Started it back up.. TADA!

4.jpg

After admiring my not-so handywork, I took it around the block and snapped the final picture. Here it is! What do you guys think? 8)

:puke: :puke:

That is all, you used to much black, and you should get powedercoated or polished.

Otherwise IMO it looks rice. The 3.4's intake look awesome in the colors they are stock.

Might as well paint the T-stat housing and the Intake arm.

Looks good ,,,, BUT you should have used a second contrasting color... and Steam cleaned the engine BEFORE you got started. And cleaned the intake valleys while the plenum was off the engine..

Yea.. I like the stealth look.. Makes it sem like you're going on a covert mission or something.. I thought it looked great before, but this looks good also..

Also, Euro94 NEEDS to paint his grille :lol: :willynilly:

Also, Euro94 NEEDS to paint his grille :lol: :willynilly:

I think it's like that for a reason, kind of a blackout across the front.

LOL, well, I think it looks like he was in an accident, to be quite honest with ya.. :lol:

Looks good Shaun, though I think the intake arm should be painted to match.

BTW: I know you love the getto rigged MAP sensor!!!!! It's better than another 96 intake swap I saw with only 1 bold holding the MAP sensor on!! :)

Looks good ,,,, BUT you should have used a second contrasting color... and Steam cleaned the engine BEFORE you got started. And cleaned the intake valleys while the plenum was off the engine..

What's the difference in steam cleaning an engine and degreasing it?

I mean I have a portable steem cleaner with attachements for the house and like car interiors, but I don't see how it would really help on the engine.

Shaun,

Looks good. One suggestion to add contrast. on the plenum, I'd paint the grooves a different color. Aswell if you find you need more contrast maybe the groove where the plugs are on the cam cover, could be painted the same color as the grooves. Might be a nice little accent to offset the all black.

That's exactly what I'm doing to mine right now. I used semi gloss black and painted the intake and the valve cover. I also bought some clear to add a little more shine because I'm just not quite satisfied with how much is in the semi gloss black but I don't want anything crazy.

Looks good. One suggestion to add contrast. on the plenum, I'd paint the grooves a different color.

That is a sexy idea... I think I might pick up a can of red and paint the grooves!! :shock:

:puke: :puke:

That is all, you used to much black, and you should get powedercoated or polished.

Otherwise IMO it looks rice. The 3.4's intake look awesome in the colors they are stock.

Might as well paint the T-stat housing and the Intake arm.

x2

Clean the coolant reservoir too, it looks awful..

Thanks for the comments. As far as the coolant bottle goes, as soon as I can find out what the part number is for a new one, I'll buy one. It looks terrible! Any any rate, the engine probably isn't going to stay like this for any extended period of time. Once the car gets painted and the engine is taken apart (manifolds getting ported), it'll probably get a nice high-polished job just like everyone else. :D

Sean: Yes. The MAP sensor was lovely. :lol:. I'd hate to see what could be worse than that, though. lol. The intake arm will probably get a nice coat of paint tonight.