Looks like the End of the Road - Update * Fixed!

Darkness

Well, heading home from work last night, I was sitting uphill at a stoplight. Traffic started moving, so I gave the TGP a little gas, and heard an awful noise from the front of the car. Sort of like a

zzzzZZZZZWWWWWWWZZZZZZzzzzzz.....

Well, I could go forward, but the thing acts like it has a 3 cylinder Metro engine in it. When I hit the gas, it just creeps along, barely accelerating, my boost guage flies up near 15 and the car acts like it is trying to drive through freshly chewed bubble-gum.

I was getting some staggered shifting when coasting, and now and then a really hard shift on the highway, but it was uncommon. I figured the tranny might be getting tired. I had just changed the dog-bones Sunday night and taken it for a test drive. So nice...

Well. Now it sits in the street outside my house. I am thinking that with possible tranny problems and what might be a turbo issue, or something.. damn it... there would be too much invested to get it up and running again with more than 257K miles on it.

And so ends another TGP! :bawl:

Whassup man?, need some help with that? Don't let er die!

I know ,that is getting up there, but they can ALWAYS be fixed, restored.

That car is a legend. I would take it off your hands in a heartbeat if you were in Oregon. Got a tranny sitting here. and a motor, turbo.

You need to find a good donor.

Not going to junk it unless I have to. When I get the chance, hopefully tonight, I am going to unhook the hoses from the turbo and check it. Who knows what has really happened...

Any chance that it was the intercooler blowing out? That might account for loss of turbo performance. I can try running it with the turbo hose unhooked to see what happens. Hmm.. Dunno. I like the car too damn much to just give up on it.

Will update as I am able.

I don't know anything about turbos, but maybe you should check your spark plugs. I changed mine yesterday and one was bad, had a misfire and the car felt like shit. Just a suggestion :shrug:

If you are wanting to dump the car I (as well as probably MANY other people on the board) would be willing to give you alot more than the wreckers will give you. I only got $45 for my 88 GP, which I gutted much of the interior and took the wheels.

I wouldn't let her go. Whatever it costs to keep a car you enjoy driving is worth it. I won't even tell you how much I just payed to fix the tranny, torque converter AND differential on my GS but it was worth it. I love the car and won't be parting with it unless it just goes up in flames. *knocks on wood*

Of course I do know the need for transportation. Had to buy a junker myself that barely ran until I could pay off the tranny work. Hope it's not as bad as ya think. ;)

I just got the speech last night that we are not putting more money into a 257k+ mile car that is 16 years old. As some of you know, sometimes with the wife it is just easier to say "OK" and be done with it.

I am going to see if I can figure out what is wrong with it when I get time, but right now I am shopping around, looking at a '98 GP GT for daily driving.

I am probably going to swap the new tires I got off of the TGP and sell it to one of you guys for a couple hundred bucks. Still in great shape with no rust.

I just got the speech last night that we are not putting more money into a 257k+ mile car that is 16 years old. As some of you know, sometimes with the wife it is just easier to say "OK" and be done with it.

I am going to see if I can figure out what is wrong with it when I get time, but right now I am shopping around, looking at a '98 GP GT for daily driving.

I am probably going to swap the new tires I got off of the TGP and sell it to one of you guys for a couple hundred bucks. Still in great shape with no rust.

I have $200 in my pocket right now. If I knew what was wrong with it and had somewhere to fix and store it, I'd be ALL OVER that.

I am definitely not junking it! I figure I can get someone to buy it off of me for a little bit of cash. That way it can be brought back to life. I just don't have the time and resources to put into it right now.

I am aiming to get another GP GT with a N/A 3800 in it, that way I can use regular gas for my back and forth to work trips. After I get it paid off, I'll start looking into some forced induction, or maybe some NOS for those special occasions.

Well, if it is not pouring down rain tomorrow, I am going car shopping. If I pick up a beater, I'll hang onto the TGP and work on it as a project. If I manage to pick up something reasonably nice and sporty, I'll 90% chance get rid of it.

I'll PM you, xtremelumina92, sometime tomorrow when I know and we can work something out.

Well, well, well.... and here I ran out and bought another car. Now my wife is giving me that "and you couldn't fix it before we got a new car?" look.

Last night was the first chance I got to really look at what was going on with the car. Not raining, babysitter with my son, 15 minutes of free time.

So, I popped the hood and started poking around. Saw the problem, grabbed a screwdriver, had it fixed in 10 minutes from the time I opened the hood!

Turns out that the hose leading from the turbo to the intercooler had popped off of the turbo, for some reason.

I cleaned it up, put it back on and tightened the clamp back down.

Now you'd never know it had a problem! :D

Now my dilemma is I have two cars, and barely time to work on one. Well, that's not the dilemma really. My wife is sort of the dilemma. She says I can keep the TGP as a toy, but it would be really nice to get some money out of it since I bought the '98 GP.

So, looks like I will be putting it on the marker and maybe eBaying it this weekend. But, at least it is still surviving.