Change your tranny fluid if you haven't in a while

Kalgorn

All I can say is GODDAMN it makes a difference! :lol: I decided to change it today after I swapped my motor mount for a FFP one. The fluid was brownish but didn't have a burnt smell to it. I wasn't sure how many miles were on the tranny fluid so I figured I'd changed it since I put at least 26k on it and I dunno how much my cousin put on it. I ended up snapping off the filter off at the neck trying to get it off. :lol: So I just used plyers and fixed that.

It made so much of a difference, it's unbelieveable. The FFP mount may have something to do with it too but I'm sure it wasn't all of it. The car doesn't rock near as much when shifting to reverse or drive and it shifts soooooooo smooth... I love it. Better throttle response too. I can chirp the tires from a launch every time now. Before, it was just from luck.

I put a bottle of Lucas Tranny stuff in too so that might also have helped. I didn't have any slippage or anything but I figured it couldn't hurt.

So if you haven't changed your fluid in a while, go do it. It makes a big difference.

Oh, I also had to put more than 6 quarts in too... why is this? My Haynes says 6 quarts so I bought 5 quarts of Dexron III and a bottle of Lucas (1 quart) but I still had to add almost a quart afterwards. Weird. No biggie though.

Wasn't sure if this should have been in Whatever or not since it is about W-Bodies.

You should have driven the car before you changed the fluid. I bet the FFP has more to do with it than the fluid, honestly, though I'm not an authority. :lol:

I'm sure the dogbone has a lot to do with it but the car definately feels a lot better and shifts beaaaaaaaaautifully. That FFP mount was definately worth the $50 shipped. :twisted: First mod I've done to this car yet.

Oh, and the reason I didn't want to drive it before I changed the fluid was because I didn't need the fluid to be burning hot when I went to change it. :lol:

Why can't anyone chirp their tires ina Z34. I can do it everytime at will from stop. Oh well. Nice that she's performing well Kalgorn! :D

Well it could have something to do with the tranny fluild. Brown is not good. :D

Oh, I found a nice little surprise when I dropped the pan too. It looks like my cousin changed the fluid at least once (probably when he had the engine out) and he used a rubber gasket. Better than that cork piece of shit that came with the filter. ;)

Now all I need to do is stop this random stalling and my oil leak/burn (not sure) and this car will be running wonderfully. I'm thinking the stalling could be due to a clogged fuel filter. I bought one yesterday when I picked up the rest of the stuff for today but I just didn't feel like changing it today so I'll do that another day. I have no idea what the leak/burn is from.

Whats this about not being able to chirp the tires in a Z34, my base lumina with a 3.1 can light up the tires from a stop, of course that was with the balding tires, haven't tried latly.... be right back.

Ok they wont light up but i have no problem sqeeling them????????

Matt

Whats this about not being able to chirp the tires in a Z34, my base lumina with a 3.1 can light up the tires from a stop, of course that was with the balding tires, haven't tried latly.... be right back.

Matt

Yes, that's because your 3.1 makes a thing called LOW END TORQUE. The 3.4 DOHC happens to lack this, making chirping the tires a little tougher.

Matt

Yes, that's because your 3.1 makes a thing called LOW END TORQUE. The 3.4 DOHC happens to lack this, making chirping the tires a little tougher.

...you might as well be screaming Aaron's name...

Anyhow, my 3.4 used to chirp the tires quite easily, but that was back in the good old days when the odometer only showed five digits.

Why can't anyone chirp their tires ina Z34. I can do it everytime at will from stop. Oh well. Nice that she's performing well Kalgorn! :D

My dad's convertible will leave a little rubber behind when floored going straight from a stop.

The Quad 4 5-speed left 10' Dual black marks on my driveway and i didn't even try. :lol:

Now the 3800 Series II? Wow that thing is murder on tires...

I've changed fluid twice and each time took 7 qts. As for the stalling, look at injectors, not fuel filter.

That's what I was told already by this forum but I was told I'd have to step up to 96+ injectors and I have yet to find a set. I still have to visit the local junkyard to see what they have. I figure it couldn't hurt to change the fuel filter though.

I usually know it's going to try to stall because when I'm sitting at a stop, I can hear the idle drop and it feels like the car is going to stall but it doesn't. It does this the whole time I'm at the stop. Once I pull away, the next time the car drops to idle it usually stalls.

Still think it's injectors?