My Serp. Belt Fell Off while driving

Pabz

Idler pulley decided it wants to fall off. Its been making wierd noises these last couple days, why this right after i got a wheel alignment and after putting in the intrax springs? Need new one, I am starting this tommorow, any help is greatly apreciated!!

Guest TurboSedan

they are really really easy to replace. just one 13mm bolt and i think the torque spec is like 40ft/lbs? replacing the tensioner and belt shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes tops.

Well I went out bought a new tensioner $70, the pully that comes with it is made of plastic, it looks the same as the stock piece but when he brought the tensioner he also brought a replacement pully it was made of metal so i decided to buy that as well. $20. Also picked up a new TPS $55. Oh and new serp. belt $20. Put them all on, relearned the idle, and my car runs GREAT NOW. Idling around 990 RPM. Transmission is shifting alot smoother when punching the gas. And it seems the valve knocking is gone, but i am sure it will come back. Thanks for all your input folks.

You're alot luckier than I was a few years ago.

The water pump on my Regal was on the way out. I had just gotten the new water pump and was driving home from the parts store when my belt was thrown off the w/p pulley. The belt caught on something and got ripped in half. Then the belt started wrapping around my crank pulley, snapping my crank position sensor off. Killing the engine instantly. Yay.

The water pump on my Regal was on the way out. I had just gotten the new water pump and was driving home from the parts store when my belt was thrown off the w/p pulley. The belt caught on something and got ripped in half. Then the belt started wrapping around my crank pulley, snapping my crank position sensor off. Killing the engine instantly. Yay.

That sucks. Totally.

:shock:

Yeah, it sucked. Ended up having to take it to a shop because they said the CKP needed an alignment tool. Which I found out a year and a half later that it can't be adjusted at all!!