hood strut question

musthavemuzk

i dove under my hood over the weekend and the first time i picked up the hood it almost fell on me. after a couple attempts it stayed up but i made my visit quick as i did not want it falling on my head.

do these fail frequently?

are they spendy?

are they easy to replace?

thanx in advance

Monty

The hood struts go out just like the struts keeping your car planted to the ground. JCWhitney, AutoZone, and other online stores would have them. Otherwise head to a local yards, rip a couple good one's off another W-Body and you're set!

Removal is pretty simple with two bolt to the hood and two to the frame with taking the brackets with it. Exchange the brackets after locating new struts, re-install and GENTLY lower the hood. I've had guys with holes in the hood from slammin' down new struts too fast. Not a good thing... :wink:

- RedFox340

well it is kinda tough to get into some of the yards right now.

but i will look into new ones first. if i can hold it off till warmer weather then i will.

did i forget to mention that it was VERRY COLD here this weekend?

temps were -10 F to -20 F most of it.

Monty

You don't need the brackets, there's a little clip on each end that just needs persuasion with a flathead screwdriver (pull straight out) and then you can snap it right onto your existing brackets. THis way you won't have to deal with alignment off the hood as a result of removing the bolts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!