Resinator

PeNZ

I think I have, from what I can see, a resinator right before the exhaust splits into 2. Im wondering if I remove this if I could have more sound coming out of my exhaust, and if it will effect emissions or not.

has anyone actually taken that thing off and looked at it? I had my exhast done a while back, and i cut it off and was going to bolt it on my brothers annoying ass blazer, but i got to looking at it, and it doesnt have any louvers inside...smooth as pipe!

all i could think is that its some kind of heat shield for the fuel line or something??

i would leave it or replace it. the front one actually has some material in it (at least in mine and i took it out), but the rear one is just a temporary increase in diameter of the pipe. was going to say the x motor is louder, but, he's got a 3100 anyway. raspy, dan? i had a mands muffler with hi-flow cat, one huge maganflow muffler and 2.5" press bent exhaust coming straight out the back on the riv with no raspiness. didnt think the 3800 was very raspy.

I find that the 3800s (especially on GPs with dual exhaust) are naturally louder than my 3100 for example. More of a "V8" sound. I find that the Regal is a little quieter but I'm sure they made them that way for old people who buy them. :lol:

I dont think it does, maybe I just over looked it. I figured the mufflers would be pretty much the same.

Oo it sure has one! Its a heavy bastard too! Saved me 15lbs in weight taking it out. I would put in one or a glasspack or something. Mine is way too raspy lol.

has anyone actually taken that thing off and looked at it? I had my exhast done a while back, and i cut it off and was going to bolt it on my brothers annoying ass blazer, but i got to looking at it, and it doesnt have any louvers inside...smooth as pipe!

all i could think is that its some kind of heat shield for the fuel line or something??

It's definitely not a shield for the lines, the older cars did not have them with certain engines(my 1993 w/ a 3.1 MPFI for example did not have a stock resonator).

BTW, I've seen quite a few different designed "resonators", some have a spiral looking core, some have scallop shaped pieces protruding into the area the exhaust flows through, etc.'

I snagged this quote from a website that had a bit of information on exhaust theory.

"On your typical cat-back exhaust system, you'll see a couple of bulges in the piping that are apparently mini-mufflers out to help the big muffler that hangs out back. These are called Helmholtz Resonators and are very similar to glasspacks. The main difference is that firstly, there is no sound-absorbing fiberglass or steel wool in a Resonator. And secondly, their main method of silencing is the reflective principle, not absorption. An easy way to tell the difference between a glasspack and a true Helmholtz Resonator is to "ping" one with your finger. A glasspack will make a dull thud, and a true Resonator will make a clear "ping!" sound."