Car wouldn't start...

lazytik

Hello.

Today, as I was leaving for work, my car wouldn't start. Dead battery. What I need to know is, how the hell did that happen? I didn't leave any lights on, so how? Can driving in heavy rain do this? I wouldn't think so...

I installed a Monsoon Head Unit from a 00 Grand Prix, and it has one of those LEDs that blink all the time after turning it off. Could that have drained it? I sure hope not...

Also, everytime I turn my wheel, i hear a clickity click click noise. What could this be?

So far, I have spent about $800 or so on this car...new plugs, O2 sensor, new rear calipers and rotors, etc....

Should I keep it? I mean, it does have a rough start on cold mornings (loud, hard transmission, etc). Also, i have noticed that it sounds like its knocking when I am driving it. Like an engine knock sound, but faster, at lower RPMs, and a little quieter...what could this be? Please help.

Sorry about the long post...all help appreciated. Sell the car? And if I do, how much do you think I can get?

1994 Grand Prix SE 4 door.

Glossy paint.

153000 miles, engine rebuilt 25000 miles ago.

Power everything, ABS, SRS for both driver and passenger.

New tires, brakes, plugs, etc...

Monsoon HU single disc cd player. Mostly everything works...

Thanks!

clicking from turning the wheel usually is usually a CV going out, the new CV shafts are ~$70 each ( 1 per side)

as for the car going dead, you have a strain on the battery, put a volatge meter between the positive termanal and the cable (disconnected from the battery) and with the door shut and the hood light unplugged, there should be very little juice being pulled. If there is a draw, pull fuse by fuse till the draw vanished, will help to track down where it is. Mine tured out 2 be a car alarm that went bad.

as for the battery...sometimes they just DIE...thats what mine did...i drove home for my lunch break...get in my car to go back to work, and it was dead...just clicked...

Ok..so CV joints $140...new battery.. another few bucks...

BTW, so what happens if one does not get the CV joints fixed? Broken parts?

So...should I sell it?

Thanks for your replies guys.

you wont get anywhere near what the car is worth with problems, period. a few guys have had 200+ miles on their cars. if you want to sell it, sell it, but you wont get your money back and it cost ya more in the long run to buy a new car then fix this 1.

Why sell it? The new owner is going to get a car worth $1500 at best with $800 of new parts on it. Keep it.

Anjd my battery died for no apparent reason on the regal too. (then again I never replaced the batt in what, 4 years?) :lol:

I guess you are right...but I bought it for $1000, put in about $800...so if someone pays me $2000 or so, I will profit. Of course, then I would have to start the process again by buying another cheap car, fixing, etc, however, I want to learn stick. And preferably have a car that doesn't guzzle gas and oil. I'm still up in the air about this, but do these things seem to be "winter" problems? Because I have noticed that this usually happens on cold/rainy mornings. When its warmer out, this car is butter!

but you wouldnt get 2k for a car needing axles, battery and 153+K miles

any car is a money pig, but w-bodys are some of the easiest cars there are to fix/maintain and everything that could ever go has been broken and theres a write up on how 2 fix it.