Undercoating?

3pt1lumina

this would actually be for my Malibu I'd be driving everyday. I did undercoat my Lumina using cans and it held up for the 2 winters I drove the car. I'm just wondering if you guys would think it would be a good idea as I live in Western NY= a LOT of salt...

what do you guys think and would you do it yourself if you did decide to do this?

POR 15, unfortunatly my car does see a little bit of winter driving. The whole underneath of my car will be coated with atleast 2 coats of this stuff before winter hits. Ive seen this stuff hold up extremely well on cars that have gone through sveral winters. My friend did this to his truck, and after 5 winters, still hasnt rusted.

A quart of POR15 is only like $35.00 and half of it did two coats underneath my car. That shit goes a long way. $90CND is roughly what, $75 or so??? (Not too good with conversions here :lol: ) but if you do that every year, that really adds up. Or you can just spend that money once on two quarts of POR15 and have enough for the rest of the cars life.

A quart of POR15 is only like $35.00 and half of it did two coats underneath my car. That shit goes a long way. $90CND is roughly what, $75 or so??? (Not too good with conversions here :lol: ) but if you do that every year, that really adds up. Or you can just spend that money once on two quarts of POR15 and have enough for the rest of the cars life.

You say a quart is enough to do a complete car? Hell yeah, I'm ordering that shit right now.

BTW, any good tips on applying it?

Basically how I applied it, I poured like a quarter of the quart :lol: into like an old plastic bowl and went to town with a paint brush. I did it that way because I wouldnt ruin the stuff in the can (because it goes along way, and didnt want it to start drying) so if I needed more, I just poured more. Be sure to wear gloves though. I tried but couldnt grip the brush good enough. But was your see in my CarDomain (7th page) is not even half a quart and is two coats. But when you put the top back on the can of POR15, be sure to put like a plastic bag or something inbetween the lid and the car, or else youll never open it again. Be sure to clean the metal up good before you apply it also. And also, be sure to not be directly underneath the part that your applying it too. And dont get it on anything you dont want it to be on, because it will not come off.

Its alot of work. It took me about 2 days to do the underneath of my car (atlest whats in my CarDomain) One day to clean everything up good, and the other day applying the two coats. And for the coatings, apply within 2-6 hours or with slight finger drg, or wait 48 hours to apply another coat, either will do.

i've used POR15 before... and since the underside is in really good shape since it's only 4 years old, i think this is the way to go... its way cheaper than undercoating :D

For $90CND I got my entire car oil-undercoated. It's messy but should last the winter. If I had time, more money, and a good way of lifting the car I'd probalby try that POR15 stuff. I'm sure as hell not getting messy trying it with a regular crappy jack.

Thats a hella lot of money to pay someone for slopping oil all over your car.. holy crap!