3rd brake light bulbs! $10 each, what gives?

Fmr12B

So as I was following the GF home from the dealership today I noticed the 3rd brake light was out, so much for that safety inspection saying all the lights worked.

Well I unscrew the cover, removed a burnt out bulb and hauled it into Pep Boys along with the trunk interior light.

A Sylvania 891 Halogen bulb was $9.99. Of course I needed 3 but I only bought 1. Luckily the trunk interior bulbs were only $2.99 for two.

Any cheaper alternatives out there?

ha! i'm good at replaceing those.

when i got the z34 none of them worked in the third brake light, went to the junkyard and started pulling bulbs till i found 2 that worked, sure beats $20 and almost 2 years later they both still work.

the camaro, same deal except 5 of them and all 5 blown, now they all light.

one of mine's been burnt out for the longest time....plus i cant find a replacement for one...i used that little "store locator" thing at walmart/autozone to find the correct bulb, yeah gave me the wrong ones!!!

eh whatever

Yep. My eyes went like this :shock: when I saw the price on that bulb.

So I searched Ebay and found a guy selling 3 brand new unused bulbs and bought them. I can't remember for how much, but I think it was less than $10 shipped for all 3. Coincidentally, that's how many I needed, and strangely enough, my timing was perfect because there had been none in completed auctions.

Before that, I think I had found some online for $3.85+shipping. I don't remember where, but here's a few cheaper places on Froogle:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=891+bulb&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=p

My Lumina use two of those $10 halogen in the 3 brake light, they are 8 watts so I went to Home Depot and I found they have the same light bulb but 10 watts, cheaper (I do not remember the price) and it is have been working fine for more that 1 year.

when I needed them, I would just grab a few from the j/y....

Unfortunately, not all of us have a good or even decent U-pull it anywhere near us. I have about 2 or 3 near me, but they all suck and are overly expensive.

• 7 years later...

YES. Go to HOME DEPOT. Go to the lighting department and they sell a 2 pack of 10W Halogen bulbs for $6.47. These bulbs a micro bit larger, but they will fit perfectly plus they are brighter than the 8W Sylvania bulbs that cost $9.99 Each. I just fixed the 3rd light issue tonight with this solution and it works perfectly.:dance:

Well, I'm sure someone will get upset at this comment/ inquiry, but why does this site complain about people not using the search function, and then when someone does, everyone including the mods get all bent out of shape when someone bumps a thread older than a few months. Even if someone has something to contribute to the thread, which the bumper of this thread did, even if it's common knowledge by now, they are chastised by everyone for bumping a thread, as if it's somehow not relevant anymore due to it's posting age. Feel free to yell at me for something I don't understand and am just asking about. I don't care if it's derailing. This thread will just get locked anyway. Mods, you better lock all the threads older than a couple months/ years old.

If there is something to add then fine. But half of the time it's someone just adding a "cool" statement to a long dead thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't recall any mods getting bent out of shape, quite frankly I could care less. I think its kinda funny/cool seeing peoples years old posts get bumped. Some forums I've been on get all uppity over it but here its never really been a big deal.