Non-OBDII...Non regular ECM...WTF!?

sdwhite

Hello all. I'm working on a '95 Cutlass Supreme w/3.1. What kind of scan tool do you have to use to get the codes out of this thing? It is NOT an OBDII...box is rectangle shaped and is 6x2 holes.

Normally, you ground out the top right two holes. Problem is, there's no wire in one of those terminals. WTF! Even when I grounded each of these things to each other, the SES light wouldn't flash.

Emissions code says OBD 1...I thought that's the original ECM from days of yore?

Any hints?

Sorry. You have the bastardized OBD 1.5 that GM used from '94 through when OBDII came out in the '96 cars. That means that most code scanners will need an adapter, and that you need a code scanner to read codes. Go to Advance Auto Parts and they should have the correct adapter.

Sorry. You have the bastardized OBD 1.5 that GM used from '94 through when OBDII came out in the '96 cars. That means that most code scanners will need an adapter, and that you need a code scanner to read codes. Go to Advance Auto Parts and they should have the correct adapter.

And even at those places, its hit-or-miss as to whether or not their readers can actually get the vehicle to respond.

I'm so glad I know people who would allow me to use a GM TECH I!

If you have access to the GM Scan tool you can even shut off cylinders by the computer to find missfires...Its actually one of the coolest computer systems ever in the cars for troubleshooting.

It always seemed to me like the '94-'95 cars run better than the newer vin 'M' motors. We also have no MAF sensor

I'm so glad I know people who would allow me to use a GM TECH I!

If you have access to the GM Scan tool you can even shut off cylinders by the computer to find missfires...Its actually one of the coolest computer systems ever in the cars for troubleshooting.

It always seemed to me like the '94-'95 cars run better than the newer vin 'M' motors. We also have no MAF sensor

My car has no MAF sensor.

Refer to the previous "why isn't the site ever updated" threads.

The job of updating the site keeps getting passed on to people with equally busy lives, while people like me who have offered to overhaul the site numerous times, and have absolutely nothing better to do all day but sit on my ass get the shaft. Go figure.

Yea...I guess it's a free service, so I shouldn't complain that it's not 110% up to date about every freak option and occurence out there.

I guess I have some bastardized bastard. It has an OBD 1.5 computer, an OBD1 tag on the emissions label, and a OBD1 12 pin ALDL. From what I understand, most OBD1.5 vehicles have the OBD2 16 pin ALDL... I guess from here I'm stuck going to the dealer, right?

I did a bunch of searches on the internet and found only ONE other person on a Buick list that had the 12 pin ALDL with the OBD1.5 computer setup. Wow...I always get the fun stuff! :x

All OBD-1.5 cars had the OBD-II plug. GM didn't officially recognize it as "OBD-1.5", so the catalyst tag will still say "OBD-I". AutoZone might be able to check the codes for you. I know they were able to test my friend's old '95 Lumina. Good luck!

The computer itself is a P6, basically the same as an OBD-2, but without the code that makes it OBD-2 compliant.

You'll probably need a Tech 1 if an OBD-2 plug won't fit.

Tech 1 is the big, bad GM $10 billion code reader? That really sucks. I talked to a GM tech at the dealership today and he had no idea. I suppose, if all he has to do is plug in his doohickey into the ALDL, he'd never no there wasn't a pin in the B slot. I talked to the other GM dealer in town and he thought I was nuts. Pissed me off...that's why I got a picture.

Tech 1 is the big, bad GM $10 billion code reader? That really sucks. I talked to a GM tech at the dealership today and he had no idea. I suppose, if all he has to do is plug in his doohickey into the ALDL, he'd never no there wasn't a pin in the B slot. I talked to the other GM dealer in town and he thought I was nuts. Pissed me off...that's why I got a picture.

Yeah, actually I should have said Tech 2. I don't think they're using the Tech 1 anymore. I think you can actually buy a Tech 2 for $3000 or so, but at that price, none of us are buying it so it might as well be $10 billion.

This is actually not something that would have been put on the main site because I was also under the impression that 94-95 3100 V6's got the new diagnostic connector, same as OBD-2's. Those having the old style ALDL connector is actually news to me.

It seems to be news to a lot of people, including those at the GM dealership! Everybody seemed to think that all of the "OBD1.5's" had the OBD2 ALDL. I'll get the picture posted up here.

AH HA! There it is! great. THAT is what I see under my dash. I unbolted the retaining bolts just to make sure the pin didn't slide out the back or for some strange reason had been removed. They all get tied up in the wiring harness right there. The top right pin is a black wire, bottom right is a pink/tan wire, and the third is a green wire.

Well, that definitely looks like the old style DLC!

Maybe you can try just running wires from it to your OBD2 code scanner and see if it'll read something? You should be able to find pinouts for both styles of connectors via Google.

a lot of scanners will read odb1.5 with an attachment, some odb1.5s use the older style connector while some use the newer odb style but are missing the 2 data wires ODBII uses for scanners.

the paperclip trick will not work with ODB1.5

ODB1.5 is evil

upgrade