ABS Light

ismellrealbad

...before any of you say anything and i know you will :twisted: i DID use the search function but most of the information i found already posted was about the powermaster III system and i think i have the IV being i have a '96. ANYWAYS.....so im on my way home from a long trip (wherever villanova is in PA to my house back in NJ, its about an hour) and i start my car and the ABS light is on solid the whole time. i didnt really have a chance to go slam on the brakes somewhere and see if they'd work. but when i got back to my destination (my friends work, not my house) i chilled in there and came out and it was off. it wasnt on the whole day before this at all or after that long trip. anyone else have this happen to them? any idea why that hapened?

The newer ABS systems are much, MUCH better than the PMIII. Does the light go on as soon as you turn the car on, or does it light up when you start moving? If so, it could be a wheel speed sensor...especailly since those ABS systems are designed soo well, the actual system never has much of a problem. Not like the PMIII

Jason

Then the only option is to scan it for codes. Unlike GM ECMs, the code will almost always point to the problem.

Man, do I wish the TGP had the newer ABS brakes... The newer ABS system is so simple in design. The wiring diagrams for the PMIII take up a whole page, but the newer ABS brakes don't even take up a half page. Everything is much simpler. No leaking pump assembly, no accumulator failures, no bad pump relays, no leaking proportioner valves...

Of course, the newer ABS brakes won't work on the TGP because the modualtor assembly hits the turbo...actually it takes the place of the turbo.

Sorry to wander off topic. Get it scanned, because thats about the only way to determine the problem. The newer ABS brakes don't fail that often, so worst case you'll need to buy a ABS computer or modulator from the J/Y (because the only other user replaceable parts are the wiring, speed sensors, or light driver module--but that stuff usually won't fail out of the blue). I would be surprised if you paid more than $100 each for the computer or modulator...

Jason

Man, do I wish the TGP had the newer ABS brakes... The newer ABS system is so simple in design. The wiring diagrams for the PMIII take up a whole page, but the newer ABS brakes don't even take up a half page. Everything is much simpler. No leaking pump assembly, no accumulator failures, no bad pump relays, no leaking proportioner valves...

Of course, the newer ABS brakes won't work on the TGP because the modualtor assembly hits the turbo...actually it takes the place of the turbo.

You could always remotely mount the modulator assembly and make your own brake lines to it. I know there is some car that uses ABS VI but the modulator is mounting remotely, so I know it can be done. You might even be able to do it with a W-body modulator.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but with a Bosch 5.3 out of a 98+ GTP. I went so far as to buy one so I could see how big it is. The ABS computer and modulator are integrated into a single package so virtually no wiring has to enter the car. The Delphi DBC-7 is the same way, I happen to have one of those too (I wanted to see if the DBC-7 was smaller, but it's actually identical in size to the Bosch 5.3).

Sorry to go off topic. :)