Can I hook up HUD without Dimmer Switch?

GOT2B GM

I'm attempting to install a 91-93 GP HUD in my 93 Z34.

I can't seem to get my HUD to work when wired through the dimmer like factory. But it does work if I just hook up power to the HUD directly, not using the dimmer.

Without the dimmer, does the HUD operate at full brightness? If not, is it as simple as applying 12V to the Dimmer signal wire (white wire)?

BTW I used gearhead43's webpage for all my instructions when wiring it as per factory.

Has anyone installed a HUD without the dimmer, or bypassed their broken one?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

I'd just try and find a good dimmer.. you'll hate that thing at night without it. It's too fucking bright. There's one in the yard, I can grab it for you if you'd like. I think the adjuster is broke on it, though.

I'd just try and find a good dimmer.. you'll hate that thing at night without it. It's too fucking bright.

x2 trust me, you'll regret not having one at night.

So without the dimmer, it operates at full brightness? Is the dimmer basically a potentiometer (adjustable resistor)? It's purpose is to just dim the display, not make it brighter, right?

I've already tried it without the dimmer on my workbench and it powers up just fine. I just can't tell if its at full brightness or not.

Eventually I'd like to get it working with the dimmer, but I just want to know if I'll be able to see it during the day with out it.

Full brightness at night would be wayyy to bright. I have mine dimmed as low as it can go before it's totally off. During the day I don't even have it full brightness unless the sun is shining directly at me or something.

can you do me a favor and take a pic of the pigtails. the ends that i had stripped to test it. for some reason i just can't see it in my head. i'm having a real hard time concentrating because of the gas fumes :lol:

I don't have a digi camera but I can tell you.

On the dimmer pigtail:

Brown with white stripe (12V to HUD)

2 Black (one to ground and the other to ground and HUD)

Pink with black stripe (12V IGN)

White (Dimmer signal to HUD)

On the HUD pigtail:

Brown with white stripe (12V from dimmer)

Black (from ground and dimmer)

White (Dimmer signal from dimmer)

That SHOULD power up like that.

Thanks for all the responses, keep the coming.

you can bench test, right? hook up the brown and white and pink/black wires to a 12v source. ground all the black wires. then hook the white wire from the dimmer to the hud and see if the dimmer works then

well i'm going to bed, and i probably won't be on again till sunday or monday. if the above test works, hook up the park lamps signal to 12v and again test the dimmer. if that works yo should have a good idea of how to wire it up

Ok I'll try that after work today. I'll let you know when I want that harness adaptor. There's no rush on that. I'm focusing on completing this project before starting on the next.

Thanks again.

I got it to work. I didn't have the brown/white wire coming from the dimmer hooked up to power. That'll do it every time. :bash: :lol: Oh, and BTW the HUD is not at full brightness when it isn't connected to the dimmer.

Thanks again everyone.

It's in the car all wired up. It works awesome. Now I just have cut a hole in the dashpad and make it look pretty. :D

i had to send my dimmer to gearhead so he could fix it, still works! for the dash hole, keep it tight against hud, measure twice :P ! i still have to cut another dash pad, since the one i got has quite a bit of excess space around it. you'll see that it needs proped up in the rear, 1"-2" shim on top of the cluster should work. glad to see that theres now 2 lumis w/hud!

I think Hairdo12 has HUD in his Lumi as well, but he just mounted the electronics under the dash. BTW, I sent you a PM Crimson Fury Z.