Its getting cold: Checklist

gp90se

Because there are always people wondering "what should I do to my car since its getting colder out" posts, I figure Ill make a basic checklist. Feel free 2 add things I miss.

Engine

Check the sparkplugs, make sure there not warn out and the cars not running lean/rich

Oilchange, weight it up to you. Lighter weight oil allows the car to start easier.

Serpentine belt, should be changed every 30-50k miles.

Dogbone bushings, make sure there not cracked/warn

Take the car to autozone and have the battery load tested, cold will KILL a dying battery quickly

Cooling System

Antifreeze should be checked for proper protection and flushed every 30k

Listen to the waterpump, make sure there's no knocks or noises.

Check the hoses for swelling/buldging, hard hoses (when the engines cold).

Check all the clamps, that there all there and on and not broken

Watch to make sure the thermostat opens at around 200 degrees or so. Best way I have found to do this is feel the upper radiator hose while the engine warms up. There will be a pressure change in the hose when the thermostat opens.

Transmission

Check the fluid, make sure its full when hot, and not burnt.

Look at the 4 CV boots for grease leaking from them

Suspention, Brakes, Wheels, Tires

Jack up the tires with the steering wheel locked, wiggle up and down to check for balljoint movement and left to right for tie rod end play

Pull a front tire, look at the rotor and see of there are deep scratches in it

Look at the brake pads, just to make sure there's still meat on the pad and your not near the backing plate.

Look in the master cylinder, check the level is at full. There should be no reason other then warn out pads (shoes for the lumina people) for the fluid needing to be topped off. If the fluid is black, you may want to bleed the system out and replace with clean fluid.

Check the air pressure in the tires, 32 psi all around is a good basic number, a little more pressure in the tires will make it easier to drive in snow.

Check to see how much tread is left on all 4 tires. Tread can be the difference in stopping and sliding into someone or something. Take a penny, with Mr. Lincoln's head facing down, You should not be able to see his head.

Check the rims for any deep curb rash, chunks of rims missing.

Wiggle the valve stem (where the air goes in) and listen for air escaping, if any of them do, have it replaced.

Body/Undercarrage

Give the car a good washing/waxing, look for any rust spots, treat with rust converter or sand it down, primer and paint it. Also, a good wax can help prevent rust, and make snow harder to stick to the car.

Climb under the car, look at all the brake/fuel lines to see if they are rusting out. Rusty lines can lead to a line blowout leaving you without brakes.

Look at the rear cradle bolts and check that they have been replaced. If they look weak, go to the dealership and have them changed for free, if there original.

Miscellaneous

Wiper blades should not be leaning against the windshield, if they are, replace them. Winter blades don't work well IMO because they lift at highway speeds while driving, leaving very little contact with the windshield.

Look over all the glass for cracks and chips

Listen to the exhaust system for leaks, salt will rust out exhaust systems fairly quickly.

Check the weather-stripping around the doors, water leaking around them can freeze the door shut.

Prevent doors from freezing:

I think WD40 and similar products will work as well..

Take a ½ inch stiff bristle brush and rub petroleum jelly into the joints of hood hinges, doors, and trunk and door latch strikers and receptors. This will prevent freezing even in the most severe weather.

*You can also rub plain old cooking oil on the rubber weather stripping around windows and the contact bumpers around the doors and trunk to prevent doors and trunk lids from sticking in cold weather.

RUST Prevention:

As for rust if you live anywhere where they throw salt on the road, or if you are lazy and have about $90 get the whole car oil-undercoated. It stops and prevents further rusting. I just got mine done and they did everything from the underbody, fuel/brake/tranny lines, gas filler tube, to the door hinges. It's messy and drips (don't park on the driveway for at least a day) but it's effective! My sister's Sunfire is a 1997 and it's virtually rust free.

If you have rust anywhere on the body, sand/grind it down to the metal and touch it up (Duplicolor Colormatch works great).

Other things:

Keep warm blankets/clothing in the car incase of a break-down.

Ice scraper and shovel!

Don't leave cell phones inside the car for long periods of time (kill battery overnight).

Jumper cables or booster pack incase you can't start (or someone on the road can't start and you want to help them).

Bring a bag or two of cat litter in the trunk, and maybe some strips of plywood (wide enough for your tires to fit on, anyway). If you're getting stuck, and forward/reverse gear rocking (which is NOT really good for your drivetrain) isn't working, try shoveling or scraping some snow out of the way and throwing down the kitty litter or plywood so your tires have something to get traction on.

Interior- get rubber floor mats so you don't ruin the carpet. Empty the water as often as you can to avoid nasty moist interior.

Baking soda in ashtrys (or wherever) to keep it fresh.

Make sure you have good wiper fluid in the tank. If it is straight water or weaker anti freeze component it will freeze, if not in the tank, definately when it hits an ice cold windshield while driving. I personally use -40 washer fluid, and usually don't have any problems related to it freezing to the windshield.

If you have a coupe, instruct passengers BEFORE they try to open the door that they should gently pull on the handle and then use more force to open the force on the door frame itself to avoid breaking off your handle (tell them how much a new one costs from GM and they might listen) You could also do what C-BAD suggested above to prevent the doors from freezing.

If you have the funds/want to feel more safe pick up a set of winter rims or some steelies and put on a good set of winter tires. Narrower will be better in the snow because they will "dig" instead of riding on top of the snow.

If you have aluminum wheels, check tire pressure weekly during the fall-winter months where the temp dips down low, then back up high during the day - I find my tires actually lose some pressure weekly until it finally stays colder outside.

Make sure your block heater is working (usually when plugged in you can hear it "turn on") Also you may want to invest in a battery blanket which will keep your battery warm during the cold nights (when it is plugged in of course)...makes for better starts I find.

An interior warmer is also a bonus, especially when you come out to your car in the morning and don't have to scrape windows, plus the interior is nice and warm :D. If you are running block heater/battery blanket/interior warmer , be sure you are plugged into a 15A plug!

You guys may also want to invest in a command start. I never thought it was worth while, but I got one for Christmas last year, and now I use it all the time.

Also, wash your vehicle regularly during the winter months! There is no point to taking care of the exterior during the summer because winter is what will kill it! Even if you wash it and it gets dirty the next day, it is good to keep the salt off of it.

Don't spite your car if the alternator happens to take a crap in the next couple months. A worn alternator that is suddenly being demanded to make sure power won't last too long!

Above all, Drive Defensively!!! There are quite a few idiots out there, and in winter they just get worse!

I think generally any washer fluid that is PINK is gonna be the good stuff that woun't freeze.

Also if it's gonna be a fucking cold day, put a bottle of gasline antifreeze in the tank.

Bring a bag or two of cat litter in the trunk, and maybe some strips of plywood (wide enough for your tires to fit on, anyway). If you're getting stuck, and forward/reverse gear rocking (which is NOT really good for your drivetrain) isn't working, try shoveling or scraping some snow out of the way and throwing down the kitty litter or plywood so your tires have something to get traction on.

a bag of floor dry is also good for the weight. it helps you get more traction over an already loose assend.

the only one i can think to add that no one said yet is to completely clear snow off your entire car, if you leave snow on the roof when you start driving it will blow back onto the rear window. and i cant remember where i heard this but if to much ice and snow cover the grill and headlight area, the car could overheat, but im not to sure how true this is. and also scrape and clean your side mirrors.

I've got a tip:

When it's snowing like mad, the streets are totally covered so much that you stop and even in Drive it doesn't move on it's own, and you have to constantly clear your windshield, remember to put it in Park before you close the doors, or you could get locked out of your car by GM's wonderful automatic door locking mechanism.

Don't ask me how I know that. :bash:

I've got a tip:

When it's snowing like mad, the streets are totally covered so much that you stop and even in Drive it doesn't move on it's own, and you have to constantly clear your windshield, remember to put it in Park before you close the doors, or you could get locked out of your car by GM's wonderful automatic door locking mechanism.

See, my car has a built in safety feature. I can't get out of the car without turning it off anyway! Thanks no parking brake!

or you could get locked out of your car by GM's wonderful automatic door locking mechanism.

sounds like someone knows from experience!

Full Story: friend and I went to see a movie, came out and even more snow had piled up - 6+ inches on the streets, blizzard. Had to keep moving or else you'd have to rock the car if you were on a street that hadn't been plowed. I pulled off the main drag onto an unplowed side street so I could get out and my friend and I could scrape the windshield. Got out, slammed the doors, and then heard them lock. We look at each other and I realize that I didn't put the car into Park before I got out, and it's sitting there idling with the doors locked and nobody inside.

We go to find help and end up sitting in the back of a volunteer policeman's car before they trudge over (in an RWD Crown Vic) to where my car is sitting idling. We slim-jimmed it and went off to more adventure!!!

Full Story: friend and I went to see a movie, came out and even more snow had piled up - 6+ inches on the streets, blizzard. Had to keep moving or else you'd have to rock the car if you were on a street that hadn't been plowed. I pulled off the main drag onto an unplowed side street so I could get out and my friend and I could scrape the windshield. Got out, slammed the doors, and then heard them lock. We look at each other and I realize that I didn't put the car into Park before I got out, and it's sitting there idling with the doors locked and nobody inside.

We go to find help and end up sitting in the back of a volunteer policeman's car before they trudge over (in an RWD Crown Vic) to where my car is sitting idling. We slim-jimmed it and went off to more adventure!!!

dont feel to bad since i left just my key on one time with my system on. and it took like 30mins for the damn cop to come and get my door open

So, for the weather stripping, I can just take an oil based product and apply that to the weather stripping to prevent them from: 1) Drying out, and 2) My damn doors frozen shut in the winter?

or you could get locked out of your car by GM's wonderful automatic door locking mechanism.

sounds like someone knows from experience!

So your doors automatically lock in drive? You should be able to change that using directions in the owners manual. At least most newer GM's you can.

Another tip would be bring one of your heaviest strongest friends with you if you are gonna go do something stupid like launch your car into a snow drift lol...hour and a half, but we got her out :D

Maybe someone said this, but in really cold temps, let you car get to operating temperature before ever turning it off, as this causes premature wear and tear and is just not good for the motor.

And if you live in snowy areas consider a lift kit if you car is lowered so you dont plow snow :lol: :mrgreen: :bash:

So your doors automatically lock in drive? You should be able to change that using directions in the owners manual. At least most newer GM's you can.

They did before I removed the lock control fuse. Now the power locks are completely useless, they've stopped working and I can't figure out why. I tried reinstalling the lock control fuse and that just enables auto-locking, but I can't use the switches.