EDIT: Lights Ghost NOW....Preventing another short/problem

CutlassSL91

Lightswitch problem?  

1. 1. Lightswitch problem?

Okay, I have ruled that there IS a ghost that lives in my car. First of all, I cannot control the intensity of the dash lights, except the UB3 and clock. So tonight, I get in my car turn the thing on and turn on the lights. And they got really bright and the brightness jumped all over and went down and the fuse blew for the panel lights, so now I have no dimmer or lights again. everything is wired correctly to the best of my knowledge!!! I just had the switch replaced in FEB not that that means much since I may have fried it (the dimmer).

Please tell me i just need a new switch!!

I had no lights since my dad gave me this car. The fuse was always blowing. One day i bought like 10 and tried to find the problem, whenver i opened the driver side door the fuse would blow. I checked the wiring by the door, and the wire that goes to illuminate the door lock and window text was rubbing against metal. I fixed the wire and used a cover for it. This solved my problem and was surprised when i took the cutty out that night, all those lights everywhere. You may have to look for a short. See if you can reproduce the problem. If not, go to a junkyard and rip out a dimmer switch and try it out. To me sounds like its the switch. What happens if you replace the fuse, is there still a ghost in your car?

My sister had a Pontiac 6000 that was possesed. The radio would not shut off no matter what we did.

I would check for a short somewhere though. that would prolly be the only reason that you would blow a fuse.

could the short be in the light switch since the lights kept doing that weird up and down thing with the brightness? I really hope it is! The fact that i cannot control the intensity with the dimmer makes me think that that is it.

Okay, I ordered a new dimmer switch from the local auto parts store. It will be here tomorrow. I really hope that is what it is! I really just want someone to tell me that it's probably the switch because i do NOT want to trace a short down. So it better be the switch!

Alright, now i just went out and tried to fix the piece of shit again by checking to see what blows the fuse, and ALL but the climate control and fog light lights short out. this is bullshit and there is no way that ALL of that can short out is there?????

FEEDBACK PLEASE!!!!

OKAY , Finally they are working since i rewired them, but one thing still bothers me. I rewired the connectors once before (although it was only under the dash) and within weeks, it shorted out. Now, I rewired to 3 inches from the source of whatever is lit up (cut the grey wire 3 inches from the thing that's lit up, and rewired to lightswitch.) They still don't dim, only the digital stuff.

SOOOOOO my question is, would replacing the lightswitch assembly be a good idea, or does the problem lie elsewhere. REMEMBER, THE LIGHTS DON'T DIM (the digital does) which makes me think it is a lightswitch problem.

Hey! Had a problem with a buddys car, the ground connection under the fuse panel was corroded.It could handle the low amp stuff-but would do the same thing when the high amp drawing lights were turned on.Some portions have there own grounds also.Maybe try this if it's not fixed yet.