Lumina Instrument Cluster

Whiskey River

Hi guys, swapped my base cluster out for the fancier model and have run into a small hiccup. By the way Patgizz, looks great, great instructions, good deal too. Thanks again. The hiccup I have ran into is when I trace the cluster wires back to the firewall connector, I have no less than 100 connections to choose from as to where to plug in the tach wire. Anybody have any ideas or pics for that matter??? Thanks.

if worse comes to worse, you could tap into the tac signal wire in the front of the engine. near the coil packs you will a find small set of wires running inside of the black protective tubing. in there you will find a really large purple wire, and a really really small purple wire. tap into the small wire for the tac signal. becareful though, there is not much slack on the wire to work with. hope that helps

Well, that is my last resort. My wire that I ran for the tach reaches the firewall connector just fine. I would rather not have to splice onto it and would hate to take the dash apart again. Thanks for the info though, if I have to go that route, I'll know what wire to tap.

It is my understanding that the dash display tach will only take info from the orange wire coming from the ALDL, diagnostic connector. I probably got those letters wrong but it's the diagnostic connector below and to the right of the steering wheel....under the dash.

You splice into that wire. Nothing pre- computer ECM is going to work in the GM cluster.

Gnatgoslpat can verify this when he sees the post.

If we're talking about a Lumina analog gauges cluster, the no, the tach gets its signal from a white tach wire which ends at the firewall connector.

Only digital Nippon Denso clusters get their tach signal from the orange ALDL wire.

All the analog gauges clusters get their tach signal from the white tach wire. I think the Grand Prix hybrid analog/digital cluster also gets its tach signal from the white tach wire because it's a Delco cluster.

im gonna check my service manual on that, been super busy ripping apart my good truck and my parts truck trying to make one good one

I've had to do that a couple of times in the past. Good luck. :lol:

Update: To those with Luminas and thinking of doing this. Get ready for some work. I finally had to run the cable out to the Ignition Module to get my tach to work. The connector that you need to tap into on the firewall is back in behind the blower motor. Making it more work than I really wanted to get into. If any of you need any help with this, feel free to PM me or leave a reply in this post and I'll help the best I can.