Road Noise / NVH

CutlassSL91

Is there any effective way to (within reasonable price) reduce the Noise/Vibration/Harshness of our cars? I get a lot of annoying road/engineand suspension noise, seems like anywhere. I want something that will produce reasonable results. Dynomat? Any ideas appreciated!

Do not use dynamat, although it works, youll go broke using it. If you want to use a sound deadener, use e-dead. Although if you did your whole car, expect to spent weeks on your car as it took me 10-11 hours just to do my trunk. and that was about a week or so cuz I couldnt do it all in one shot.

The only thing I have is road noise, tires, and my damn dash keeps like falling apart all the time, I cant figure it out. Everything it tight, yet it bounces all over the place and rattles like fuck when at a stop light or anytime your in gear with your foot on the brake.

Jay,

If you put FFP mounts on your engine, then your "rattling dash" problem is already solved. I have tightened the bolts on my dash to all hell, but it still rattles when in gear (not nearly as bad now that the mounts are broken in, but still audible)

My Lumina does have *some* of that shit on the side panels underneath the rear windows...I noticed when I took of the panels when I was wiring my amp up...however it have all fallen off lol (I just duct taped it back on)

If the insulation acts as a sound deadener, yes.

Jay,

If you put FFP mounts on your engine, then your "rattling dash" problem is already solved. I have tightened the bolts on my dash to all hell, but it still rattles when in gear (not nearly as bad now that the mounts are broken in, but still audible)

haha thats a very good point! But even if all the bolts and everything was tight, how come it still rattles? Ive fixed many of them that dont come back anymore, but my new rattle is the center counsul, like where all the buttoms are (heat, A/C, defrost, etc) and the space below the ash try, well that spot rattles like fuck now and Im still trying to figure out why, other than the mounts.

• 1 month later...

sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have a question. Last weekend I took my dash pad off and I noticed that the engine noise was a LOT louder as was road noise. My question is, should I put the e-dead stuff on the dash underneath the pad?

Well e-dead and dynamat are basically the same, just one cheaper and one without the logo. But they both add weight to your car which basically makes the metal more "solid" if you will and prevents rattles/noise. If you did the whole front of the interior, it would maybe add like 10lbs? Not too sure.

Where you driving with the dash pad off? Because if took the dash pad off then put it back on, I dont see how that would create/allow more noise.