Spoon

I've got a '99 grand prix with a 3800 engine. with a stalling problem. It only stalles about 2 times a week. It will stall at idle or moving and will always start back up right away.(sometimes stalls then starts again even before I get the car stopped) Its got a history code of p0336 which is a crank sensor code. Does anyone have any ideas, i'm clueless!

Thanks,

Stalling is common when you have a failing or faulty crankshaft position sensor.

I've followed the diag chart and no where in any of the tables it tells me to

replace the crank sensor. Don't ask me why? It says it could be wiring, ign. module, coil pack arcing to ign. module or problem in pcm. I've checked for continuituy through the wire from the pcm to ign module and wiggled the wires, there ok. I've even tried tapping on these items, but noting happens. Does anyone have any ideas how to make this problem happen more often so I could find the problem easier? Has anyone ran into a problem like this?

Thanks

Stalling is common when you have a failing or faulty crankshaft position sensor.

replace the crank sensor. Don't ask me why? It says it could be wiring, ign. module, coil pack arcing to ign. module or problem in pcm. I've checked for continuituy through the wire from the pcm to ign module and wiggled the wires, there ok. I've even tried tapping on these items, but noting happens. Does anyone have any ideas how to make this problem happen more often so I could find the problem easier? Has anyone ran into a problem like this?

Thanks

See this. http://jbarbieri.net:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=355066&psdid=133&evc=sm#S04

If that link does not work, go here first. http://jbarbieri.net:9001/servlets/Home Then go to your year, etc, etc. and type in "crankshaft" in the search, it will come up with the diagnostic code you're getting. Click there and there will be a diagnostic flow chart down towards the bottom of the page...it does have a place that mentions replacing the sensor, but only after you've been through the numerous other checks on the page. :wink:

http://jbarbieri.net:9001/servlets/Home

Thanks

See this. http://jbarbieri.net:9001/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=355066&psdid=133&evc=sm#S04

If that link does not work, go here first. http://jbarbieri.net:9001/servlets/Home Then go to your year, etc, etc. and type in "crankshaft" in the search, it will come up with the diagnostic code you're getting. Click there and there will be a diagnostic flow chart down towards the bottom of the page...it does have a place that mentions replacing the sensor, but only after you've been through the numerous other checks on the page. :wink:

http://jbarbieri.net:9001/servlets/Home

thanks alot for the help. This is the exact same place that i'm getting my info from. I'm sorry but I still don't see where it says to replace the crank sensor, I am following Doc #367649. you said it was near the bottom of the page? what step # is it?

thanks alot for the help. This is the exact same place that i'm getting my info from. I'm sorry but I still don't see where it says to replace the crank sensor, I am following Doc #367649. you said it was near the bottom of the page? what step # is it?

Step 15.

Step 15.

I'm sorry I must be in a totally different place. The table i'm following only has 11 steps. What doc # are you looking at?

Step 15.

I'm sorry I must be in a totally different place. The table i'm following only has 11 steps. What doc # are you looking at?

Document ID# 355066 , do as I said above. Once you go to the techline applet, click your year and then in the search box at the top, type "crankshaft" and it will come up with a few related links(document #355066 is the first link at the top, matches the diagnostic trouble code you stated in the first post :wink: ).

I think I found the problem,your looking up a 3.1 engine. this is a 3800. look up the doc ID # I prev. wrote. The 3.1 uses a 24x crank sensor where as the 3800 only uses a 18x.