undercoating

THe_DeTAiL3R

Wondering how often everyone gets their car undercoated? (those around the snow belt anyways).

I made an appointment to get mine done on Monday for $90CAD at a local muffler shop, which is the cheapest price I could find (maybe cause they're a muffler shop? lol). There were a few other places offering around the $100 range as well. I'm getting the oil drip cause most people tell me it's the best kind to get (and it's cheaper.. :P ). Krown is "the" place to get'r done, but it's $119 and theres a 2 week wait. Anyways the muffler shop said it would take about an hour to do, and they do the whole car (some just spray the bottem). This will be my first time getting a car undercoated, I don't want it to end it's life the same way my 88 GP did!!!

undercoating is a waste of money

/quote]

thats what I've been told, but I never seen the proof!

HPIM0229.jpg

look at my car. never been undercoated, and it's lived in Detroit it's whole life. no body rust, and hardly any underbody rust.

my parents had a '92 Aerostar dealer undercoated....in 5 years, the rocker panels were gone

undercoating can crack and trap moisture and salt inbetween the underbody and the undercoating

i have heard of that happening and i seen it happen to my friends cavalier. it can cause some bad rust if moisture gets trapped.

There are different types of rust proofing.

Oil-drip undercoating can NOT cause rusting. It is sprayed on and and soaks into the cracks and prevents rust from spreading further. It can't crack or anything like other types of undercoating. Sorta like spraying the whole thing with a really thick WD-40. My sister's 97 Sunfire was drenched in the stuff when she bought it several years ago, and there is virtually ZERO rust anywhere on the car. It is sprayed up in the fenders, under the whole car, strut towers, etc. If you go with a no-drip type that uses asphalt or something, then yes it can trap moisture in, crack and rust can happen. The car has to be clean of moisture and rust for it to be effective.

Oil kind is cheaper, it drips, and is suppose to be done every year. Although I really don't think that it's something you HAVE to do or else it gets worse (compared to not rustproofing in the first place). Also, oil undercoating is compatible with other types of undercoating.

check out http://krown.com

regualr washing with underbody wash and rinse will also prevent rust, im extra paranoid about keeping the car clean in the winter for this reason, also its nice to get the ice that likes to form on cars areound here off once a week and see parts of my body again (hot water washes) 8)

I might do the oil drip protection this year, i dont belive that would cause any issues since its not an air tight seal. I just wonder if it would come off quicker since I do weekly washes.

I undercoat my cutty and wash the undercarriage regularly during the winter. I have absolute minimal rust. There's only a small area that has rust on it, and that's only because I missed it when I first started undercoating! I think it's a worthwile investment, especially where you are. My winters I'm sure are not nearly as hard as yours are C-BAD.

look at my car. never been undercoated, and it's lived in Detroit it's whole life. no body rust, and hardly any underbody rust.

Weren't you the one that showed a pic of the underbody behind the rear wheels was in really bad shape?

Oil-drip undercoating can NOT cause rusting.

Yep, the greasy crap should be fine. It's nasty to work on a car that has had this done, but from what I've seen, it really works and it works well.

The tar-based lumpy undercoating that dealers want to sell is the bad stuff. It DOES crack, harden, and promote rust. You're better off with no coating than the lumpy tar-based stuff.

I'm going to paint all my rear suspension, A- arms and subframe with POR 15, then get the no-drip oil spray. Its kinda like a waxy oil when it dries.

Weren't you the one that showed a pic of the underbody behind the rear wheels was in really bad shape?

Oil-drip undercoating can NOT cause rusting.

Yep, the greasy crap should be fine. It's nasty to work on a car that has had this done, but from what I've seen, it really works and it works well.

The tar-based lumpy undercoating that dealers want to sell is the bad stuff. It DOES crack, harden, and promote rust. You're better off with no coating than the lumpy tar-based stuff.

i know what picture you're talking about.

my rear bumper support is rusted, and that's about it. the entire front and mid underbody is almost rust free.

yeah I did the whole underneath of my car with POR 15. I put two coats of it over everything, and might clean it up real good and put another two coats on before winter, so Id have 4 coats of POR 15. I still have yet to do a couple places like fender wells and such, but so far its holding up pretty damn good!

My car has never had it done...and we use salt here....however it has laways been washed weekly and has almost zero underbody rust. I'll take a couple pics if anyone doesn't believe me. The only rust is where 93CutlassSupreme's rust is on the rear bumper thing. Wasn't our body panels and underbodies made with galvinized metal??? My dad has a boat trailer that 30 years old and is galvinized and it has zero rust.

Anyway, I'd say undercoat it if you want, however with regulae washes it isn't necessary...

My car has never had it done...and we use salt here....however it has laways been washed weekly and has almost zero underbody rust. I'll take a couple pics if anyone doesn't believe me. The only rust is where 93CutlassSupreme's rust is on the rear bumper thing. Wasn't our body panels and underbodies made with galvinized metal??? My dad has a boat trailer that 30 years old and is galvinized and it has zero rust.

Anyway, I'd say undercoat it if you want, however with regulae washes it isn't necessary...

:werd:

yeah I get that underbody blast (car wash) every week in winter or atleast everyweek when it snows or theres salt down. I have zero rust on my car. And the before and after pictures on my cardomain, even before, it was not bad, actually pretty good.

The undercoating helps and so does the car washes, both combined are prolly best.

The only car wash around here that does the underbody wash is like $6 a pop. If I washed every week that would be more than the undercoating. The things that worry me most are fuel/brake lines, gas tank, and the fender walls.

Kevin- wasn't your fuel filter RUSTED to hell, to the point you couldn't remove it? Mine was too, I ended up cutting the line to get it off. And I just replaced my gas tank, which was leaking from the top. I DID wash my car occationally last winter, but I'm not sure how bad that stuff was already rusted. Just from looking under the car, everything looks pretty good but it's the smaller areas that often rust easy and are PITA.

The only car wash around here that does the underbody wash is like $6 a pop. If I washed every week that would be more than the undercoating. The things that worry me most are fuel/brake lines, gas tank, and the fender walls.

Kevin- wasn't your fuel filter RUSTED to hell, to the point you couldn't remove it? Mine was too, I ended up cutting the line to get it off. And I just replaced my gas tank, which was leaking from the top. I DID wash my car occationally last winter, but I'm not sure how bad that stuff was already rusted. Just from looking under the car, everything looks pretty good but it's the smaller areas that often rust easy and are PITA.

the fuel filter nut was gone but the floor pans and suspension parts are in really good shape