auto dimming mirror question?

Regal_GS_1989

I just finished installing a gentex auto dimming mirror w/compass from a 1994 olds 88. My question is, for anyone that has installed a mirror like this, is there a way to calibrate the compass? It is out of wack and i want to know if there is a way to correct it.

I assume you have that extra dealy mabob attached to it? I don't know what its called... just that unit that figures your bearing.. it usually goes on the windshield tab.

Yup, i got it attached, the compass only cycles between S, SW and W for some reason. Like those 3 directions appear to be correct, but like if i point the car north, it shows south. I havent driven the car at all yet with the mirror installed, so maybe it will correct itself :shrug:

Is yours the dealie with the mirror/compass with the three switch positions? It should calibrate itself, but I haven't had a lick of trouble with mine.

BTW: The cupholder in the armrest from the car you got the mirror from is excellent, go back and snag it. :lol:

Is yours the dealie with the mirror/compass with the three switch positions? It should calibrate itself, but I haven't had a lick of trouble with mine.

BTW: The cupholder in the armrest from the car you got the mirror from is excellent, go back and snag it. :lol:

Yup, thats the one that i got, and there was no interior left in that car, except fot the back seat. Another thought that crossed my mind, is it possible that there is some sort of magnetic pull from, say the motor for my sunroof?? Because i wired up the mirror before mounting it to my windsheild, and i seemed to work fine, like i got it to show N, E, S, W, but only after i attached it to the windsheild is when it would only show S, SW, and W.

Find a empty parking lot and slowly drive around in circles, should help it calibrate.

When I first installed my mirror into my Regal the Direction was off. But after driving around a couple days it calibrated itself.

Mine did the same exact thing. Compass was fine before I put it against the windshield. I forget what the exact procedure is to get it to calibrate on the spot, but I know the newer style ones of those same mirrors had you press a couple buttons, then drive around in a circle 3 times, point the car North, and hit one more button to complete the procedure, just like you calibrate the compass on the DIC, or pretty much any other digital compass, for that matter. Try what 93RegalGS suggested, that should pretty much take care of it. I very highly doubt the compass is shot. I've never heard of one going out. It'll work itself out, either through the driving in a circle, or just over time.

I thought if you push and hold one or both buttons for something like 10-seconds, it would show a "C" on the display and then you drive in circles until it starts showing directions again. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember something like that.

I seem to have corrected the problem. My guess is that there was some kinda of magnetic pull from inside my car. I placed the magent from a subwoofer close to my windsheild, and then the direction started to change as i moved it around. After i took it away, it appears that it is fairly accurate now.