Coupe Seats? Flip forward not locking

Fmr12B

The coupe seats do not lock in position, motors and recline all work fine but I expected the seats to lock in position and not flop forward. I don't have to lift the switch to get occupants in the back seat.

Is this a common problem?

What is the fix?

Should I even worry about this?

The coupe seats do not lock in position, motors and recline all work fine but I expected the seats to lock in position and not flop forward. I don't have to lift the switch to get occupants in the back seat.

Is this a common problem?

What is the fix?

Should I even worry about this?

they sound like they are working correctly.....they should only "lock" when the brakes are pressed firmly or if the car is parked nose down on a sharp hil....

Both my GPs had our 85 T-bird both did this. Being that they were all 10+ years old I don't know if they ever locked to begin with. I assume it's probably something that just breaks within the first year. :lol:

here is a quote from our fearless leader from one of the multiple threads that have been about this exact same issue

The seats are supposed to have an inertia lock like the seatbelts.

They're designed to fold forward freely, but are supposed to lock on hard braking, pointed downhill, etc. The release lever is so you can unlock it if it should lock on a hill.

here is a quote from our fearless leader from one of the multiple threads that have been about this exact same issue

They're designed to fold forward freely, but are supposed to lock on hard braking, pointed downhill, etc. The release lever is so you can unlock it if it should lock on a hill.

Genius! I tell ya, pure genius!

I searched and looked through a lot of posts but never ran across that answer! I did find out the Pontiac SSE seats were the best though! :shock:

:thumbsup:

did you buy that triple white 'vert?

Back to the dealer today after work, ugh 50 mile drive, with the GF and our daughter for a final inspection and pricing.

I'm gonna try for $4100 out the door including TTL with a 3-day inspection period so that I can get it to a Buick/Pontiac dealer for a inspection.

Plus the guy has to have fixed the trunk spring alignment issue, and non-working passenger side rear window.

Plan on bringing my 8mm ratchet and flashlight for a TB inspection :)

While WHT OUT is taken TRPLWHT is not in the personalized plate department!

cut2.jpg

cut3.jpg

cut4.jpg

cut1.jpg

don't forget to take off the T-belt cover and visually inspect that....it should come off in less then 5 minutes

2-8mm bolts right? Need a ratchet with an extension, any other tools?

Look for shavings?

Where is the Dist O Ring located?

Guest Anonymous

Mine always flip forward. I really never figured out (or cared about) what that stupid handle was for... but I noticed people pushing the seats forward with it... and could not figure out why becuase i'm go back there alot by just pushing the seat forward.

Mine always flip forward. I really never figured out (or cared about) what that stupid handle was for... but I noticed people pushing the seats forward with it... and could not figure out why becuase i'm go back there alot by just pushing the seat forward.

:withstupid:

My inertia locks don't work though. The only way I knew about them is it talks about them in the manual. If I brake hard, the passenger seatback goes a-flyin' and the only thing stopping the driver seatback is me!

My Cutlass' inertia locks work. My GP's sure as hell didn't. Whenever I'd stop quick, the passenger one flew forward, knocking whatever was in the seat out: papers, small dogs, crock pots, kahula shakers. Fucking cheap locks! :motz2:

My Cutlass' inertia locks work. My GP's sure as hell didn't. Whenever I'd stop quick, the passenger one flew forward, knocking whatever was in the seat out: papers, small dogs, crock pots, kahula shakers. Fucking cheap locks! :motz2:

:lol2:

But wasn't your GP a 4 door :wink:

coupe seats are the ones in question

sedan seats are always locked in place unless you pull the recline lever

coupe seats will move foreword on their own and they have a small lever on the rear of the seat that sedan seats don't have

But he also put tan AQ9's in his car at one point.

But he also put tan AQ9's in his car at one point.

I had gray cloth AQ9's, then some cheap-ass mexipowered pleather covered ones, and finally ended with some tan leather ones.

My inertia locks don't work though. The only way I knew about them is it talks about them in the manual. If I brake hard, the passenger seatback goes a-flyin' and the only thing stopping the driver seatback is me!

Exactly... when I lay on the brakes in a hard stop, the seat slams forward and whatever is behind it in the front seat ends up smackin the windshield.

Exactly... when I lay on the brakes in a hard stop, the seat slams forward and whatever is behind it in the front seat ends up smackin the windshield.

:werd:

my Z is the same way... never had the seats lock.... but it did teach one of my friends to buckle up :lol:

no matter how hard I hit the brakes, or how steep of a hill I drive down, or how rough the trail is, they've never locked...