How much leeway in the fuel gauge?

fastbird232

So everyone knows that when you fill your tank, the needle goes above "F" and takes a while to come back down. In my '95 GP, I've got about 60 highway miles before it comes down to the "F." My question is, do I also have 60 miles from "E" until it's completely empty?

I know with my fuel guage, i can get around 140 highway miles before my guage moves off of full, and about 40-50 highway miles when it hits tha last bar on my fuel guage. But I always fill my tank up to the gills when i fill it though.

Yeah I get about 60miles until it actually goes "down" to F. When I'm in the red shaded area (little less than 1/4) my DIC says I have 60-100km left (depending on how I'm driving) and I do believe that is fairly accurate.

Well boys and girls, welcome to the wonderful world of GM! Each of you have described every single fuel gauge ever installed in a GM vehicle since the dawn of civilization :lol: .

Seriously though, reset your trip odometer every time you gas up and go by what it reads. Fill your tank once it hits a certain threshold, say 300 miles since you last filled up. You also get the added benefit of being able to figure out your fuel economy since the last fill-up as well (divide the mileage on the trip odo by the # of gallons the gas pump says you put in the tank...)

My fuel gauge is the same way. It takes FOREVER to move off of Full, then moves very slowly until it gets to 1/2. Beyond half, it drops like a brick.

Same way here. If I ever let my gas tank get that low, I usually just drive around for a day or two with the check gauges like on. (for low fuel)