Curled up Vinyl?

lakefxgp96

I know a lot of you all have it, especially if you have a lumina. Does anyone know how to fix it?

I thought i would be smart and grab a dash off another lumina, lo and behold, every last freaking one of them is curled up by the windshield fogger vent just like mine!

I have seen 'relaxers' on DIY TV before a long time ago, where can i get something like that? If i can get the vinyl to relax, then hot glue or spray carpet adhesive ought to hold it right?

You can try contact cement and try to glue the curl down. I think most people here have just screwed it down.

I just found a used dash pad off of ebay that wasn't curled.

The vinyl on my curled dash pad actually shrink to the point where it would no longer reach the defroster opening.

If you search, there are different ways and different types of glues that can help...but it is not always guarantteed to work. The problem is the vinyl has shrunk (at leatsin my car)...if you have remove the dash pad...heat it up because it's alot more applyable when the dash pad is hot (like when it is parked in the sun on a hot day)

The vinyl on my curled dash pad actually shrink to the point where it would no longer reach the defroster opening.

Mine is exactly the same way, if i hold it down with my hands it doesnt reach under the vent.

It seems as though some sort of chemical restoration could do it, heating will work temporarily but once it cools off i bet it would curl right back up and tear itself out of the glue.

The rest of the vinyl in the car is just like this only no where near as bad, just stretched and tired looking.

Take some really strong glue or epoxy (gorilla glue seems to work pretty good), and put it between the two pieces. Then, take a 2x4, lay it on top of that so it will evenly spread the pressure, and clamp that sombitch down. Then, let it sit for a few day, and wa-la, cured dash.