failed for NOX

gp90se

usually when i see a NOX reading that causes a car to fail emissions tests, its directly related to the catylatic converter...did you have a SES light on for the EGR problem?...cause i know around here if the SES light is on it automatically fails, they won't even test it...

I really dont think (its been a while) the cat has much to do with NOX,.

:bs:

The Reduction Catalyst

The reduction catalyst is the first stage of the catalytic converter. It uses platinum and rhodium to help reduce the NOx emissions. When an NO or NO2 molecule contacts the catalyst, the catalyst rips the nitrogen atom out of the molecule and holds on to it, freeing the oxygen in the form of O2. The nitrogen atoms bond with other nitrogen atoms that are also stuck to the catalyst, forming N2. For example:

:roll:

if you wanna read more you can check out http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter2.htm

just cause it failed NOx doesnt mean its ALWAYZ a converter...but thats usually where i start...i know my old '86 cutlass failed twice and i changed O2 sensors, added that GUARANTEED TO PASS shit and a few other things and it kept failing...finally changed the cat and it passed with flying colors the 3rd try...

Suppose we allow some of the exhaust gas to get back into the intake manifold under strict control and only when we need it? That would cool the combustion chamber and prevent the formation of the NoX. Maybe we should call it recirculated exhaust gas (REG??). But a guy named Reginald voted no cuz he didn't want his name associated with a car part, so they called it exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) since there was nobody around with that name.

http://www.misterfixit.com/egrvalve.htm

The older style cat conveters (bullet) didnt do a damn thing for nox, thats what i want thinking of. Cats have been upgraded to a 3 way system for better performance and cleaning.

like I said, its been a while

no that was on the burb, the NOx limit was 13xx and it passed at 1250ppm - with no EGR.

the next one will be registered at 10k gvw to not have to e-check :mrgreen:

someone's putting on headers, no cats, blocking off the EGR, taking off the AIR pump, and flipping the bird to the e-check station as a drive by :lol:

on the other comment, i have no idea what you're talking about 8)

So Apparently the plate the vaccuum lines plug into for an 88-89 3.1 (vacuum egr) is different then a 90-93 (digital egr). I had accidently blocked off the EGR vacuum all together, and it barely failed.

Just came back with a sticker, passed with flying colors, in a non homosexual way.