89 cutty weird idle

stlunatics2oo3

okay here is the situation i will be driving and pull up to a stop light and be there a lil long and stuff the car will idle good for a lil bit then it like kinda seems like it wants to die and then it brings it self back to a good idle and does it again and then when i am driving it will stutter what would this be a bad coil or what

i have put new

plugs

wires

ignition module

o2 sensor

map sensor

Is it at specific tempretures or times of the day? Any codes? Any other symptoms? Do you have the mechanical EGR valve? If so, while in Park slighty depress the diaphragm on it... it the car starts to stumble, it's still in working condition and the rubber seal hasn't gone out. Otherwise, do a quick check... there's not much to it... maybe fuel pressure or a fuel filter or something. You can't be far!

- RedFox340

well i have a new fuel filter on it but i am not sure what type of egr i have but it is a 2.8 engine automatic but it does it at any time of the day seems be any part of the idle even right after start up

no codes are comin up either

Cleaning the crud off the idle air control valve and throttle body couldn't hurt. I did this on my 2.8 and the idle is very consistent now. Used to stall when backing up then braking, but no more. This page is written for Z24s, but I used it for my Cutlass:

http://www.v6z24.com/mods/howto/?page=throttlebody

Last time I disconnected and reconnected the battery I skipped the IAC position relearn, and it still idles fine. You might want to try it anyway before taking things apart:

http://www.sts.sae.org/membersonly/techinfo/articles/article7.htm

When B+ is disconnected on 1987 and newer 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4 engines, the ECM loses track of the IAC value position and the engine will usually not idle properly. The IAC position must be re-learned............

With key off, disconnect battery for at least 30 seconds.

Reconnect battery. Do not touch throttle (ECM looks for 0% throttle openings).

Start the engine and shift to “D.†Run for ten minutes or until cooling fan cycles.

Shut off engine. Wait 30 seconds.

Restart. Run 5 minutes in “D†or until cooling fan cycles.

Check idle speed. (Note: the ECM can only learn eight IAC counts per key cycle).

Repeat procedure if not correct.

Remember that when the throttle opening is less than 2% (2.8) or 5% (3.1), fuel delivery is based on IAC counts. Correct IAC position is critical to prevent stalling. Normal is about 15 counts.

I would follow 88Intl's advice.. The bad idle is pretty common with 1st gen CS that haven't had their TB cleaned and IAC valve checked... Combine that with a nice new O2 sensor and your idle should hold solid..

unless of course there is something else wrong somewhere :)

well i cleaned the tb and it has a new iac so no need there plus it has a new o2 sensor i was thinkin maybe it is a bad coil cause i have been gettin fouled plugs on onlu 2 plugs so i am thinkin a coil is workin then not workin either way i am changin the coils today so i will find out thanks...