Grand Prix door question

mfewtrail

What purpose does this piece serve(the highlighted "plunger" or whatever you want to call it in this picture)?

http://home.alltel.net/mfewtrail/images/tgp_door.jpg

Just wondering since my 1990 has this and my 93 does not. I'm not aware of anything that it's activating or deactivating....so I figure it's just a spring loaded cushion there to absorb some of the impact of the door being closed??????

i think it maybe absorbed some, or just lines it up straight when closing. my cutlass has something similar, but all it does is basically line the door up (not spring loaded like that one)

It is a part of the seat belt release.. WHen you take the belt off, it sometimes doesnt go all the way back in.. That button (when functional..) will snap the belt back to the coiled position.. My 6k had this as well, and it rarely worked, which is why they nixed it Im sure..

It is a part of the seat belt release.. WHen you take the belt off, it sometimes doesnt go all the way back in.. That button (when functional..) will snap the belt back to the coiled position.. My 6k had this as well, and it rarely worked, which is why they nixed it Im sure..

Thanks Steve. My seatbelts retract back just fine so they must be working. :wink:

I *think* I've seen that on my Lumina as well while cleaning the door jams....and mine is still working because when I take my seat belt off it doesn't go back into the door, but the second I open the door, the seat belt is recoiled back to it's orignal position....never thought that switch was responsible for that, but makes sense!