Remote Starter HVAC Issue - Please Help

bbechtel16

I am almost done installing my Bulldog (yeah I know, but I got it NIB for $10) remote start/keyless entry system, model RS114, in my '92 Lumina (base trim, 3.1, 4T60). The problem is, when the car is running off the Bulldog unit, the electronic HVAC controls do not operate correctly in at least 3 ways:

1. The HVAC cannot be off in remote start mode.

2. The AC won't run in remote start mode.

3. I can't change temperature while in remote start mode.

I figure I have to be missing an accessory wire, or the wire I need isn't there at the steering column but there's a workaround? I first was hooked into orange only, then I added w/brown, which seemed to have no effect, then I added brown which gave me radio (yay!).

According to the Bulldog's generic manual, GMs generally use orange and brown for acc.

According to the12volt.com for my specific car they only list the orange.

I haven't been able to decipher my GM factory service manual diagrams yet.

Based on my testing with the impressive-for-free test light, at least brown, white/brown, and orange are acc.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on this or share their colors with similar vehicles?

OK guys I figured it out. Here it is for reference sake:

The purple with white stripe accessory wire is required for proper HVAC function. So I have orange, brown (radio), and w/purple tied into the accessory wire to the box.

Here's a thought for the future... Would it be a bad idea to switch the radio trigger over to the ignition wire instead of accessory? I ask this because many aftermarket stereos, like my roommate's Alpine MP3 style, take a long time to boot, and the large music gap is kind of annoying when going from the acc or on/run position to start.

I spose you COULD run the radio off the remote starter... I dunno why though, but I don't have an Alpine, so I can't start saying anything. I can live with my 2 second delay though, so I personally wouldn't bother. Try running rear window defrost off it instead.

Any reason you want the remote starter to turn the radio on? I prefer my stereo to stay off to save on the speakers if I happen to leave it cranked from the last time I drove it. I actually tied my Pioneer in my Jeep to a ground when running out on the cell phone mute wire so it's muted or att'd with the remote starter engaged. If you're remote starting you're obviously not in there, so I'd think being able to switch the temp wouldn't really come into play either.... Glad you got it worked out in any case.

I don't want the remote starter to turn the radio on, though it does in my case and that's fine. My question is would there be any problems with running the radio trigger off the ignition wire instead of accessory wire, meaning the radio wouldn't loose power during cranking (yes I realize this will drain power away from the starter). I ask this because some aftermarket stereos, esp those that play mp3s, like my roommate's Alpine, take an annoyingly long time to get back to what they were doing when this happens. (not really an issue with the factory GM stereo)

there website (bulldogsecurity.com) has vehicle/year specific wiring diagrams to hook up alarms for almost all vehicles made. by the way, i never had problems with bulldog security products.