gear selector problem...

89BuickRegalGS

For some reason, I can't pull my gear shifter back all the way to the first gear. It feels liek there is some strong tension on it. I can just barely feel it start to click into the spot, but it just pops up into between the first and second gear spot on the center console.

Oh yeah, I have a 89 Buick Regal GS with the 2.8 v-6 and the center console automatic tranny.

Also been having trouble with the tranny leaking fluid but it is still filled to safe levels.

Sounds like your shifter is slightly out of adjustment.

See toastemcutlass' instructions at this thread http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2567&highlight=shifter+adjust

Leaking fluid is most likely a pan gasket. On the '88 and '89, the worst leaking gasket is the side pan gasket. It requires lowering the subframe to replace, so it's a big job. I just tighten up the bolts (they get REAL loose) and it's good for a few months. It could also be a slightly leaking aux tranny cooler line. On my '89, they sweat. On the 94, they leaked badly.

I just had my tranny cooler lines replaced. I could lay under ther car and watch them flow a stream of ATF onto the ground. Happend after the car sat outside for a week then brought into the warm garage for a few days without being run. the lines split right at the compression fittings.

thanks guys

teh pan gasket is easy to replace. but Shawn...

In the 2 years I have owned the car, its had FOUR gaskets put on it!!!!!!!

And the guys at the tranny shop that replaced it the last time showed me the pan wasn't warped. The bolts keep coming loose or something?! Whats up with that!?!?

Anyways, thanks Shawn

To get my bottom pan to quit leaking and bolts to quit loosening, I had to get a rubber gasket with metal inserts around the holes and torque to spec with a 1/4" drive torque wrench.

The rubber gasket is OEM, about $20. It's designed for 91+, but works on my '89. It said in the parts catalog that it's designed for use only with 91+ bottom pans, but I haven't had any leaking or any problems with mine. I also replaced the bolts with 91+ bolts which have a flared head instead of the movable washer. That might help some.

As for the side pan, I haven't had the desire to lower the subframe to replace it. Not yet anyway.

You mention you have GS and your engine is the 2.8 MPFI? That's strange, I have a GS as well (1991 Sedan) and it has the 3800 TPI. I thought all GS models had the 3800 TPI, and most Limited models had either the 3.1 MPFI of the 3800 TPI, and the base models only came in the 2.8 MPFI (later to be the 3.1 MPFI).