scanner for OBD-I and II ?

briandors

Is there any product out there that will give real-time display of data on OBD-I (and preferably II also, with an interchangeable cable) ??

I see plenty of products that work on OBD-II only. And I do realize that there's way less info to be monitored on OBD-I.

Brian

Are you looking for a computer-based solution?

I use EFILive and a home-made MAX232-based cable for OBD-I. There's less information, but there's still a ton of info there.

Oooh, how does that work?

It works pretty well, you can find the MAX232 cable info all over the web. I think there's even a 2-transistor version? Just search for MAX232 and ALDL.

EFILive didn't come with any definitions for my 94 3.4 DOHC, but I have the ALDL all mapped out and created the defs. Works pretty good, I even have the defs for the ABS system and all that.

I have an old version (4 I think), I've had it for a long time.

I don't know if it comes with any definition files to pull codes from a 95 LQ1, but I can send you mine if they're compatible with the newest trial version.

When I built my own interface, I made it easy by buying a pre-made circuit board for $10, so all I had to do was solder the parts on it. I put it in a plastic box and bought the cable w/plug from O'Reilly for $20 or so. You can get the circuit board and other parts from http://www.akmcables.com/ic.htm. Works great, but I can't get mine to work on serial port power so I have to plug it into the cig lighter.