Removing a windshield (in salvagable condition)

GutlessSupreme

Really hot day and some hi-test fishing line... using piano wire is a surefire way to tear the paint off the metal underneath.

i never have :shrug:

if you ever look closely to a HUD windshield there is a special small square area(within the glass) where the HUD is displayed...you can visually see the difference vs. the 2 types of glass.

it's probably a spot where the surface is ever-so-slightly concave which in effect will make the image smaller.

if you ever look closely to a HUD windshield there is a special small square area(within the glass) where the HUD is displayed...you can visually see the difference vs. the 2 types of glass.

it's probably a spot where the surface is ever-so-slightly concave which in effect will make the image smaller.

could be...the difference in price between the two is rediculous

My new HUD in my lumina, just completed install minus the hole in the dash, looks perfectly fine and clear, even though not a HUD windsheild.

ARE you refering the a GEN 1 or a GEN 2 model? since I see a gen 2 in your pic.

The service manual says that the HUD windshields, In a 1994 CS, are simply regular windshields that were sorted through and checked for acceptable image ghosting. Rejects would get used in regular application, by my understanding. I saw no such square area in the donors for the 93 (or 91-93?) GP HUD or the 94 CS. The 97 Gp windshield had collapsed, so I can't say there either. THIS fact may be completely different on a GEN 2 model.

My new HUD in my lumina, just completed install minus the hole in the dash, looks perfectly fine and clear, even though not a HUD windsheild.

ARE you refering the a GEN 1 or a GEN 2 model? since I see a gen 2 in your pic.

The service manual says that the HUD windshields, In a 1994 CS, are simply regular windshields that were sorted through and checked for acceptable image ghosting. Rejects would get used in regular application, by my understanding. I saw no such square area in the donors for the 93 (or 91-93?) GP HUD or the 94 CS. The 97 Gp windshield had collapsed, so I can't say there either. THIS fact may be completely different on a GEN 2 model.

Honestly, I'm not sure what generation the windshield was..I do remember inspecting it before shipping it out. My brain is cloudy on what year it fitted, because I worked for that company 4-5 yrs ago.

Aftermarket?

I would consider that maybe as an aftermarket windshild it might be that the additon of a small square was necessary to make a windsheild to meet HUD spec, as it might vary enough from the factory window.