Removing a windshield (in salvagable condition)

GutlessSupreme

I've read into this and a lot of the stuff I've read says that if adhesive was used to mount the winshield, it'll be a cold day in hell when you get it off in one piece.

I was just wondering, though, if anybody has successfully removed a windshield without cracking it to all hell and being able to reuse it, and what proceedures/tools you used. Also how long it took..

I already started trying a bit on the TGP and it did start cracking, but it's not big enough yet that it can't be saved. The TSTE on the other hand.. well, it has a bmf-crack, and I don't want to buy a new one if i don't have too..

plus, the TGP has a HUD windshield.. and new HUD windshields aren't cheap.

two or three strand piano wire with two vise grips and a buddy who wants to build upper body strength.... when you see smoke (from the urethane adhesive) pause and let the wire cool down and every few minutes pull the wire through and use a new section....do not pry on the window especially now that it has already cracked!

BTW it sux....

or you could get an air compressor and a pneumatic windsheild adhesive cutter....

good luck

snap on, mac, and matco all sell a tool specially designed to allow one person to remove the adhesive from a windshield, I paid a whole $22 for my snap on tool.

I've pulled probably more then 30 windshields (for credit at a local junk yard) and I got all of 'em out without cracking.

--Dave.

HAHAHA this reminds me of this stupid ass in highschool. His parents bought him a z28 camaro and it had t-tops, he wanted a convertable. So he took piano wire and took out the back window in autoshop, cuz he thought it'd be cool, (he was stoned) well he left it in the pen (12 foot tall fenced area for our project cars so it didn't get broken into). Then he planned to make a fiberglass piece he could put in there when it rained, but while he was in class it did fucking rain! BWAHAHAHAHA he was so pissed SO WERE HIS PARENTS. They called my autoshop teacher and told him off like it was his plan to take out the back window.

all my teacher said is they had free time for 2 hours and he took out his window, it's his car i can't tell him what he can and can't do. Oh my god this kid was the laughing stock of our autoshop all year.

Oh and the point of this story is that i saw what he had to do to get the window out and it was a PITA. Good Luck and take your time. LAter Jay

snap on, mac, and matco all sell a tool specially designed to allow one person to remove the adhesive from a windshield, I paid a whole $22 for my snap on tool.

I've pulled probably more then 30 windshields (for credit at a local junk yard) and I got all of 'em out without cracking.

--Dave.

This one Dave? http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=74540&group_ID=1785&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

--Dave.

This one Dave? http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=74540&group_ID=1785&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Murray's has that same tool for $10...isn't a snap on but it looks identical, i used one on my rear window

forget about it if you want to use a coupe windshield on a sedan, they don't interchange.

and if it starts cracking, its done for, the crack will only get much much worse.

ive got a two coupes and the one i drive daily is in need of a windsheild, if i were to remove both of them would and autoglass company install the good one into the daily driven car?

the problem with that is that they usually use there preferred glass for installation...and that is a marked up price on whatever windshield they install. You might be able to convince someone to do it, but that would most likely be a side job.

ive got a two coupes and the one i drive daily is in need of a windsheild, if i were to remove both of them would and autoglass company install the good one into the daily driven car?

if your going that far, may as well install it yourself, if you don't break it taking it out, just clean off the old adheasive with a good sharp razor blade and clean the glass with acetone, and pick up a tube of autoglass adhesive and install it yourself.

if your going that far, may as well install it yourself, if you don't break it taking it out, just clean off the old adheasive with a good sharp razor blade and clean the glass with acetone, and pick up a tube of autoglass adhesive and install it yourself.

i guess, im just freaking lazy, and have never done it before. and im also very cheap.

lazy and cheap kinda of condradict them selfs.

i guess, im just freaking lazy, and have never done it before. and im also very cheap.

lazy and cheap kinda of condradict them selfs.

It's probably easier to install a windshield than remove it. :lol:

its much easier to install one then remove it, about 50% of the time i break the windshield tring to get it out, also if its the origional windshield to the car its going to be next to impossable to get it out, however if its been replaced before a good hot day, and some piano wire, a second person and a whole lot of patience will get it out.

• 3 months later...
My bros cutlass 4 door had a new windshield put in... WOW $147 and some odd cents for the install! From glass masters. and it only took an hour.

that sounds about right...the actual glass for that vehicle was about $60 when i used to work for Safelite. Many times these windshields only take about 40-45 minutes to do. I remember that the older Saturn windshields were terrible to take out, because of how they wrapped around in the corners.

My bros cutlass 4 door had a new windshield put in... WOW $147 and some odd cents for the install! From glass masters. and it only took an hour.

WOW that's awesome... except HUD windshields aren't quite that cheap. And good call on bringing up the 4 month old topic...

the fact of the matter is that my dealers manual states that a HUD windsheild is simply a regular windsheild that has been checked for good ghosting characteristics. There is nothing special about the way they are made, so in fact a regular windshield may be HUD compatable.

It has to be more than that, despite what your manual says. Using HUD with a non-HUD windshield always causes it to enlarge the image, and look a little blurry. HUD windshields always have a small, crisp image. My HUD looks TERRIBLE.

if you ever look closely to a HUD windshield there is a special small square area(within the glass) where the HUD is displayed...you can visually see the difference vs. the 2 types of glass.