turn signal switch replacement

nick90euro

dont really kno where this goes so feel free to move it. i need to replace my turn signal switch and i was wondering how hard it is to replace one? i know i need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate compressor so after that is it just a few screws and wires or what? only other car ive replaced one in is my 88 daytona and that was cake......Nick

Typically you need to run the wires down the steering column. I don't know how the switch is supplied by GM, but you used to have to remove the wires from the existing connector and insert the wires from the new switch into it. If this is the case, remove only one wire at a time from the old connector and insert the corresponding new wire in it's place. Don't remove all the old wires from the connector or you're going to get lost.

Lock plate compressor? what the hell is that?

You don't need any special tools to do it. remove the pad on the front of the steering wheel. Remove the wheel nut. Place one knee under each bottom 1/4 of the wheel, and one hand on each top 1/4. Quick hard tug with all fours at once in the same direction will pull it off - just watch your head. I whacked mine pretty good :oops:

The the switch itself is just a few torx bolts from there.. it's very easy actually. Running the new wire strand wouldn't be that hard, at least I didn't think it was.

From the looks of it he's doing a '90..

Guest TurboSedan

yeah on the Turbo Dodges you need a lock plate compressor. you have to compress the lockplate to access the snap ring. it's easy to do on those cars, i just did mine last week. but anyways.

i just noticed the link i posted was for '94+ W-bodies :oops: i couldn't figure out how to get the wires out for the turn signal switch on my Cutlass. i just went and bought a column from a junkyard (needed it for other reasons). good luck. hopefully someone will post, i'd like to know how they did it.

i couldn't figure out how to get the wires out for the turn signal switch on my Cutlass. i just went and bought a column from a junkyard (needed it for other reasons). good luck. hopefully someone will post, i'd like to know how they did it.

Chop 'em. Then run the wires for the new switch right down the column. They go in much easier than they come out.