Can I fix it?

Joe590me

Ok, My driver side window, like fell off the track or something, i hear it banging around inside the door, i press the button, and it does not come up, but i can hear the motor working, Can I fix this or will i have to take it somewhere to get it fixed?

Thank you for your help, Oh yea, it is a 96 Olds Cutty, Power Windows

Sounds like the window regulator is broken. All it is is a little plastic piece. When mine broke in my Lumina, when I had it, I took it to a local auto glass guy and he fixed it for $40.00. They can be a PITA to fix, with just a little hole in the body of the door to get your hands in. I though it was well worth the $40.00 for someone to fix it.

I had to replace that little plastic piece in my Cavalier's door and it really wasn't difficult. Yeah, you don't have a ton of room to work but it's not worth it to spend 40 bucks having someone put in a $2 part... I've had my Z34's door torn apart before too because I had to replace the window motor and I don't see it being too difficult to replace the piece. It's not any different than any other door.

Has the the motor in it ever been replaced? If so, the bolts in it could have backed out(I've had this happen using the shitty bolts and nut/lockwasher combo supplied with an aftermarket window motor) and this is binding up the motor/not allowing the window to move. I fixed mine when the stores here were closed here so I simply put the supplied bolts along with the nuts(they had lock washers made to them) back on as tight as I could get them, and then I spot welded the nuts to the bolts. They aren't coming off unless I want them off now. :wink:

Usually if what I just mentioned has happened, the window will start rattling a bit before the bolts work their way loose enough to cause this issue.