1988 CS instrument cluster electrical connector removal?

88Intl

How to unplug the connector from the 1988 Cutlass Supreme instrument cluster? I pressed down the latch but the connector would not come out. The blue piece with the latch removed, but the connector would not. Did not want to force and risk breaking it. A 1989 at the junkyard has a normal connector shell with the latch tab built in to the harness plug.

What's with all the goofy electrical connectors, with plastic pieces which must be removed before the connector can be unlatched and removed? Seems like the chances of the connector popping open are zero, but chances of yanking on the wires or damaging the connectors during service are much higher. I haven't seen these on other GM vehicles.

Even the stereo connector shape is slightly different, have a 1993 Chevy stereo and the Cutlass harness will not fit unless I take a Dremel tool to it.

You SHOULD be able to just press on the blue latch and pull it out. I had to press on the blue latch and use a flathead screwdriver to pop it out.

The stereo connector on Penny's '88 was standard, my GM harness adapter plugged right into it.