Oh Noes!

LumiDriver

It was about..oh say...less than 1000 miles, about 650 to be exact. Thats What I was thinking...stickin lifter...but oil is good, check it, good color, and it was right where it should be, full...I love this car...but sometimes it worries me...

what i've found that seems to work wonders is a prodcut called reslone, add a quart at a oil change and it supposedly cleans varnish from pushrods, and the like, i think you can get it at walmart or any autoparts store.

i've used it on ticking 2.4s, 3100s etc, it seems to at very least make most of the noise go away.

Yeah, when the lifters get old, they dont hold the oil as well, and it takes them awhile to pump up on startup. Dont think a cleaner would really help that, but it couldn't hurt. You might have a different problem anyway, so it's worth a shot. Might want to give Slick 50 a try too. I love that stuff.

yeah sounds like the usual 60* tick....my dad's 3100 did that for the longest time...but only on start up

A lot of times its a joke...my car makes what all the mechanics said was piston slap...i idled the car for probably 20 minutes in the driveway filling up the coolant and it never went away even when the engine was at operating temperature...drove it two blocks and the noise is gone...its always gone after you drive it a little.

All our cars with the 4T60-E do it, which is 2 3100's, a 3.4 DOHC and a 3800 Series II...its actually front pump starvation which is also in the TSB's.

Anyways, back on subject...yours sounds like a lifter...I hope you are using a good quality oil and not fram filters...if you don't have a real oil pressure gauge in the car i almost wouldn't trust the fram filter.

The rislone may help you though.

I got a 3100, and my brother has a 3.1 in a z24. My brothers makes the usual 60 degree noise from what I understand, while my 3100 sounds like a diesel at start up. It's pretty damn loud, and I was thinking what I should do about that... Any oil that's better than other, I'm due for a oil change soon, what should I try?? The noise goes away after it idles for about 5 minutes or so, maybe a little less, but I usually don't let it sit for 5 minutes considering it's summer, what will it be like in winter??

So this Royal Purple is good for the 3100's, eh?? Well it won't hurt to try it, hope it's not too damn expensive. Thanks I think I'll know on friday, it's my day off and oil change time. So I just found out fram filters are crap, what should I use??

no, i'm not talking about that engine restore stuff, thats a syrup.

what i'm talking about is called "reslone" its more of a detergent that can clean varnish from inside a engine, we had a 2.2 scrapalear that kept tossing a rockerarm and pushrod last wonter but only when it was VERY cold out, after reatatching it for the second time, we tried some of the reslone product, and it hasen't jumped the rocker since.

I dont use Fram filters, I actually use Valvoline 5w30 last time (although I would prefer 10w30, but winter is coming soon). The noise doesnt last long, and hell it would go weeks without making it. Its loud, but it doesnt drown out the engine or anything. Drive it for about 1.2 miles and it stops. Royal purple is a bit expensive. I would definately go with it, but Im a college student that travels 1hr to and from school and work (work at my school !) so moneys a bit tight atm. Ill try these suggestions thanks :D

if you use a thicker oil, it will have less of a tendancy to do that. def use delco filter. valvoline is very good oil. bg moa works wonders for that sort of thing. quited mine right up. not sure why i didnt replace the lifters when i head the top end apart though :oops: :roll: