1988 GP Digital Dash Woes

88GPSE

I just acquired a 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. I just completed a new plugs/air filter/o2 sensor tune-up on it and it runs a lot better.

It has a digital speedometer that does not work. I tried resoldering parts inside per a search on this board, but it still does not work. What is a good alternative to get this speedometer problem fixed? It's primary use is to commute from Southern PA to DC Metro 3 days a week, and the Maryland Mounties like to sit... and I don't think a broken speedometer is going to be a viable excuse for getting out of a ticket.

I'd like to stay digital, but what other car's clusters will work in this car... until I can get the digital stuff refurbished?

S2400003.jpg

WTF? That systems monitor looks space age-y. Here's my old one:

04.jpg

Also, if you buy that cluster from C-Bad, you'll have to just swap the speedo module. The rest is in metric units rather than imperial.

Guest Anonymous

I'm having major deja-vue of this thread. CBAD, that systems monitor is from one of the old dust buster vans. I would like to buy it if the other guy doesnt... i'll PM you about it. For the other guy, i may have another digital speedo for you. I have one in good working order, im just replacing it with one with mileage that reflects the actual, as i did a swap into a 92.

Yeah we went over this before about it looking like it's from a Transport.. lol :lol:

Are you SURE that it isn't the same as imperial? I mean I was able to just flick the button to go from MPH to KM/H same for the odometer. Only real difference I see is that the temp is in Celicious rather than *F.

Ross you have a PM.

Guest Anonymous

very, very similar interior. I wonder if you can add a first gen HUD and DIC to a transport as well.

The Trans Sports didn't come out until 1990, and the digital dash was discontinued in 1989... so who knows?