Anyone else have this problem...

jdcutty

My voltage seems to be really low. Even when not at idle, my voltage (with nothing running) is just below the 13v indicator, which isn't what concerns me. At night, with the headlights on it shows maybe around 11-11.5v. Sometimes with my amp on it drops low enough to trip on the ABS light. I am just need to know if anyone else has/have had these problems and what caused it.

I may have burned a diode in the alt by putting such a strain on it, but if anyone else has suggestion that could help, it is greatly apprecitated.

I'd say your alternator is tired. If you need to replace it though, STAY AWAY FROM BOSCH! Piece of shit alternators!! I bought one with 5 year warantee and in winter time at idle with the lights on, the f'in dashlights dim out and other crazy stuff, then if you rev it slightly it all returns to normal. My old tired Delco didn't do that....just incase you need to replace yours I'd just say stay away from said company above.

The thing is, I was told by the dealer when i bought it, that he had it replaced when he got it cause it didn't seem to be charging too well. This leads me to believe that it could be something else. I had it tested back in may or so and everthing came out ok.

I will be replacing the worn serpentine belt soon, i will have to see if that makes any difference, as if it were slipping a little.

Check for loose connections or corrosion on all your main power and ground cables while you're at it. :wink: Also, are you going by the voltage gauge in the car or checking the voltage with a voltmeter/multimeter?

I am going by the gauge in the car. I have not yet got under the car and check for corrosion on those connections, but the ones up top are good. It prolly doesn't help that the plastic on my aux battery post is cracked.

Mine does that too...at night with the A/C, cooling fans, radio, and headlghts on it goes down to 12.8V or so (my gauge looks just like you describe) but the readout i gave is from my DIS. Most of the time its between 13.1-13.7v

I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.

BTW, Pat, it looks like I will be around flint for b-section as my co-op employer decided that they want to keep the graduate that they had instead of me coming back. And they couldn't even call and tell me, assholes. :evil:

mine normally runs three bars but when it's hot out it will drop down to 2 or 1 bar. Strangely, if I turn on the parking lights it will come back up one bar. What would that mean?

Been curious a long time.

Quick side note. Is there a rough idle on anyone in this threads car? Cause My van had the same issue, and it wasnt power related, vacuum hose was broke..cause a rough idle, dimming lights and bad headlights