remote keyless entry problem

john99gtp

Ok

I thought the batteries were dead in the remote for the TGP, so i went to wally world to pick up some new ones. the lady tested them, and they are actually putting out 3volts, so they are fine.

Now I need to know what the next step should be in trying to find this problem. I have no idea if its the remote or not, and theres no LED to let me know if the remote is working.

any ideas?

also, does anyone know the model number or size for the filter that attaches to the turbo. its waaaay to quiet :lol:

thanks in advance

John

Some part numbers for future reference. The 1390 is going to be the slightly larger and fatter filter. Looks better in there IMO.

This goes into detail on the K&N filters.

Aaaaaand some info on the RKE. As far as testing what's the culprit, I've seen people on eBay showing that the remote checks out on their testers. Where you would obtain one of those testers, though, I don't know, nor do I know another way to test them.

Pull the carpeting back from the right side. There'll be a purple wire hanging down with a black connector on it. Get a wire (preferably one with two gator clips on it) and ground it to an unpainted piece of metal in the trunk. If the locks cycle, the box is still good. You can try programming the remote (maybe it was never done; that's how my Bonneville was)

ok hang on, i found a wire, but its going up near where the seatbelt or something is. kind of hard to explain, and im lightly pulling but its not coming out, and it looks just like the one in your pic

ok well, after tearing apart my interior a bit, i gave the black/yellow wire a try

grabbed another piece of wire and......nothing

i only tapped it, so i held it on. sure enough "click, click, clank, clank" :D

box is good i take it then eh? if box is good, batteries are good then that kinda narrows it down dont it?

a: key fob bad

b: they are not talking on the same channel

im hoping its b

are there any other suggestions? or conclusions?

what exactly is involved in reprogramming? pressing the lock button? unlock button? trunk button? how long should i hold it? press it as it is cycling or after it cycles?

im reading through pasts posts but i cant find a specific answer

i couldn't find an answer either. from what i understand you ground the wire, press all the buttons and then unground the wire. i assume that means press the buttons after the locks cycle, then unground the wire.

hope that helps

John, if you can wait til Sunday at the mass meet...

I think my wire was green, it's the one with that connector at least.

I demand to know about these things ahead of time! :lol: nobody ever announces MCGP meets over here.. (though I guess that makes sense :shrug:)

I kinda want to come.. if I have a running GP in my possession by then, which I should.

Tony, check out massclubgp.com, the meet is in taunton, if you come that could be uber cool. :)

John, ground the wire and hear the locks cycle. Keep the wire grounded and press a button on the remote. When you hear the locks again the remote is programmed.

Tony, check out massclubgp.com, the meet is in taunton, if you come that could be uber cool. :)

John, ground the wire and hear the locks cycle. Keep the wire grounded and press a button on the remote. When you hear the locks again the remote is programmed.

ok cool, i really want to see if i can get them to work

brb again :) even if i do have to do it in the dark