Thunk Thunk, Clunk

Guest RedCutlassSL

Guest RedCutlassSL

As you are reading this, keep in mind that I have a blown strut on the pass side front wheel. When the car is not moving, and I turn the wheel, there is a thunking noise produced. When the car is in motion, I don't get this sound. I can also feel it in the steering wheel and the car.

Guest RedCutlassSL

can all the parts and tools be listed that i would need to replace the front end, tie rods, balljoints, and struts, i'd really appreciate it

also possibly CV joints

Is that the front strut bearing? I thought it was part of the strut assembly, is it available separately? Possible cause of memory steer, where it pulls to the left after making a left turn, to the right after a right turn? What's involved in replacing it?

yes, they are avalable seperat from the strut assemby, Im going to do them on my car in the neer future along with struts on all 4's, mounts, "bearing plates", and lowering springs....

if you have acces to a spring compressor, there a relitivly easy thing to do. Once you have the strut assembly out of the car (disconnect ball joint, remove caliper/caliper hanger/rotor, then pull the axle out of the hub vai 1 24mm nut, disconnect the 3 upper strut mount bolts and pull out of vehical) just compress the spring, remove upper strut nut, release the spring tension... then you remove the strut mount and spring, the the beaing plate which is below the spring..... to put it back together, reverse this prosses...

I hope this helps you guys out... and yes, if the bearing plate goes bad, you it will scream @ you to replace it!!!!! (clunk clunk.... rattle rattle)