Power Locks - Updated with PICS

gpse_97

the power locks on my '92 Grand Prix STE wont work. I looked in the glovebox and only found 1 fuse for locks but it was fine. Anyone know what else to check?

I Checked the switches and both seem fine.

are they unplugged mabye, like from inside the door

Even if they were unplugged in the door, the other door should work...

Not true. If the driver door isn't plugged in, no doors will work I believe. Should go for power windows and locks.

Why did the previous owner pull the fuse?

and

Does the car have keyless entry?

It could be a bad ground connection, or a bad lock relay but I doubt that. The grounds are located under the carpet towards the rear outside of each front seat. The relay is in the dash below the passenger side a-pillar. You should be able to see it if you remove your glovebox I believe. Could also try removing the black panel under the dash in the passenger side footwell and looking up.

I can't find the one I just pulled out of the TGP, otherwise I'd get a pic of what it looks like.

ah, ic, strange, but the lack of the box will cause that

No. It won't. The one in my GP never worked, and I still had power locks, and I pulled out the Cutlass' today to check my GP's RKE box and while the box was removed, the locks continued to operate normally. Unless you just had a one-off incident, that's not how the power locks work.

I really think it is the realy.

where is it located exactly?

I checked the circut breaker for it, by swapping it with the power windows (which work) but it made no difference.

Is there a seperate relay that I can swap out.

ah, ic, strange, but the lack of the box will cause that

No. It won't. The one in my GP never worked, and I still had power locks, and I pulled out the Cutlass' today to check my GP's RKE box and while the box was removed, the locks continued to operate normally. Unless you just had a one-off incident, that's not how the power locks work.

we had this arguement be4, remeber, lol, but i take it out, no work, put it in, work, got a different box, locks worked, took it would locks no work, it cant be coincidence, other poeple have had it do that too

I really think it is the realy.

where is it located exactly?

I checked the circut breaker for it, by swapping it with the power windows (which work) but it made no difference.

Is there a seperate relay that I can swap out.

Remove the glove box.

Look for a BIG 3x3 inch connector with a shitload of wires coming out of it. It'll be more towards the right. The relay should be directly to the left of that.

i swapped the relay and it still doesn't work.

anyway to bypass the RKE box so I Can use my power locks? I really don't wanna spend $80CDN for the RKE box. (thats how much scrap yards want).

You can hear a slight "tink" when I plugged the relay in or out from the locks themselfs.

Also anyway to test the switch? (maybe short two wires together)

To bypass the RKE box, you need to splice the larger gauge TAN-WHT wire from the driver side into the TAN-WHT wire on the relay.

so from teh drivers window switch, take the tan-white wire and run it into the tan-white on the realy?

do i cut the wire so that it doesn't connect to the switch nemore and runs directly to the realy? or do I splice it so it still goes into that switch and runs to the realy also?

and on the relay do I just splice it in, or do I need to cut the wire so it just runs to the realy and not to the BCM or wherever it came from

Splice it, don't cut.

You can take it from the switch, but I think it's easier to get to it under the dash behind the kickpanel where the door connectors are.

where exactly is it under the dash?

then i just splice it into the relay also right, dont' cut the relay just splice?