Front Suspension

crc

Aside from the cartidges and the strut bearings, what else can be replaced on front suspension to improve ride quality? I put in new gas struts and bearings a few months ago but I'm still getting a rough ride up front, specially at medium speeds over semi-rough surfaces. This is for a 90 CS International with about 270kms+ on it so I think its about time I start to replace some of the other suspension parts, I'm just not sure what can be replaced and what's involved in the replacement.

Thanks.

bigger sway bar from a FE3 equipped car, Poly-U suspension bushings all around.....thats all I can think of

Robby

I think he wants to smooth out the ride, not make it stiffer. Is that correct? aside from the struts it shouldn't be rought at all. are you running stock size tires? 225/60/16 should be stock for cars with 16" wheels.

RedZ

Poly and smooth ride, smooth ride and poly....

uh, Anyway, get a new set of rubber bushings for the control arms up front, although Im not sure how they are replaced (It could involve a special tool to press them in) have you replaced the balljoints and tie rod ends?? What about the upper strut bushing? I dont think the upper bushing would cause rough ride, just noise. Worn control arm bushings will definetly cause roughness and clunking noises on harsh bumps.

I think he wants to smooth out the ride, not make it stiffer. Is that correct? aside from the struts it shouldn't be rought at all. are you running stock size tires? 225/60/16 should be stock for cars with 16" wheels.

RedZ

RedZ

Right now I have a set of 235/60/16 Goodyear winter tires up front and they're fine treads.. Have served me well so far this cold season.. I know it's not really the tires, or alightment, or balance or anything in that area because I'm anal about those things.. :)

What I would like to do is get some of the tightness back in my front suspension. I would like to get rid of most of the looseness I'm feeling.. I know the FE3 suspension is stiff but it should be capable of riding hell'va lot smoother than what I'm feeling now.. There's a difference between stiffness due to the performance rating of suspension parts and stiffness (or roughness) caused by aging suspension parts.

When I got my car I put in a set of new gas struts, bearings and new tie rods.. The bjoints and I think like someone said the control arm bushings need a second look. I almost to replaced the upper strut rubber bushings but didn't see anything wrong with the one's in there.. No noise from there.

What about the springs? I have no idea how old the ones I have are.. and I haven't got around to changing them. When I replaced my cartidges I noticed the damn things were still the original oil-filled ones so I'm guessing the springs haven't been changed.. This car is going north of 270,000 kms...

If it has that many miles, or kilometers, then I would say, new springs would not be a bad idea. Also, this sounds like a performance thing, but my car had that loose sloppy feel to it while cornerning, you know, you can feel the body roll through the turn, so, I but a front strut tower brace on, and man, it cleared a lot of that up. I have 87K miles, and havent done any bushing work or any suspension work besides the strut bars, and the car feels 5X better than it was stock. Just a suggestion

Robby

for $88 from JCwhitney you can get Suspension techniques lowering springs. they have a firmer spring rate. that will increase the handleing. the rear is probibly sagging anyways so this will level your car you. its only ~1.3" drop so it still has allot of ground clearance. just have to angle going in and out of STEEP driveways. My car feels kind of loose as well i am going to try replacing the steering rack with a new one to see if it helps.

RedZ