Anti-Loc and wheel size?

Lee

Okay, does anyone know...specifically...what happens if the tire sizes between the front and rear is different? Fronts being 2 sizes smaller than the rear.

I've heard it's a no-no but not what happens.

Is it something like the anti-loc kicks in and never brakes the wheels? Or is it a code and a light error?

Thanks!

Lee,

Never heard of such a thing... I'm thinking about it and the phyical mechanics of stopping the car should be the same whether if you had 15" wheels to 20"+... I don't believe it would change anything. Where did hear this from?

The only problem from different wheel sizes is the odometer and speedometer readings due to increased / decreased diameters of the tire + wheel combo. But even that can be dealt with by tire sizing...

- RedFox340

You'll want to stay with the factory size tire on the front to keep the speedo correct.

The rears shouldn't be too much bigger than the fronts though. The ABS reads the wheel speed sensors during braking to determine when one or more of the wheels are going to lockup. If it reads the front wheels going faster than the rears you'll get a code, ABS light, or ABS won't even work right. All 4 of the wheels have to be within 2-3 MPH of each other (or something like that).

Jason

Off the top of my head.. issues might be:

- Understeer for FWD cars

(the car wants to go straight when all you want is for the bastard to turn)

possible solution: lower tire pressure on the rears.. which can get rid of understeering but introduce oversteering in bad weather.. :)

- Tire Rotation

(hmm... your friendly tire technician is gonna make a funny face)

possible solution: buy more sets of tires.. $$$

- ABS

(probably an issue.. Don't quote me on it but I think the ABS computer might mistakenly sense a wheel lock if the sensor readings are out of whack with each other (aka wheel diameter differences between FR and RR> ~0.5 inches)

The only reasons you can't have different sizes from front to rear is because for the abs to work, it senses the speed of each wheel(speed sensors) and if they are all the same then the the brakes work normal the second that one wheel gos slower the abs kicks in. so the second you put different size tires on then the abs thinks the tires are going different speeds.