power locks lock you in?

musthavemuzk

with me getting my remote start this past weekend i am curious as to whether or not the cuttys lock you in after you start the car?

at the moment my power locks do not work. but plan to fix that.

plan on installing the remote starter next weekend so i have all weekend to play with wiring. and i figured i might look into the power locks. since i have a heated garage to work in.

my friends 92 grand am locks you in when you start the car so i was curious as to whether or not our cars do?

Monty

As far as I know, CS do lock when you get in. For me, not when you start the car though

When you get in ,doors will lock when you put it into gear (R or Drive). Then, when you put it back in park, they will unlock, but when you turn off the car.

Gets annoying at times, because you have to turn it off for them to unlock (or hit the bbutton) weould be nicer if they would unlock in park

Jon

I'm really glad I don't have the auto-lock option... it's annoying personally because it always has a tendacy to lock yourself out when you trust it most. :evil: One of my L-Body buddies hates it on his 1996 Beretta Z26 since he delivers pizzas all the time and has to bring a full set of spare keys to to get the job done for the evening. :lol:

- RedFox340

I hate when they dont disengage.

For example, I will be leaviong the driveway, and forget something inside. SO i rush back up the driveway, put it into park, reach to open the door...crap, still locked (since car is still on).

To me its just a waste of time, and I havent looked into ways to just remove that. Like I have no problem unlocking the doors, but when it does it itself WHEN I DONT WANT IT TO, thats a waste.

Jon

musthavemuzk, you do not have this option. It was 93+ (93 won't auto unlock, just 94+).

It should NOT be possible to lock yourself out of the car unless you leave it running in gear. If it automatically relocks in park or neutral, you have a mis-adjusted park/neutral switch which will also affect idle speed as the same circuit supplies park/neutral information to the PCM.

You can disable it by unplugging the little connector hanging off the front of the chime module. That will also disable your turn-signal left on reminder though.

I actually went to the trouble to install auto locks into my '89. :lol: What can I say, automation fascinates me. Auto headlights is next!

Then my sisters 94 Prixis messed up, if you leave it running (in park) and run in the store or somthing. When come back out you need another key open the door if you dont have a spare youre screwed.

Yeah, the park/neutral switch probably needs alignment. I had that problem at first so I had to align the switch and now all is well.

Probably a good idea to get the switch aligned anyway, because in Park the PCM will think it's in gear which may cause low idle or tendency to want to stall when you shift it into gear.

Reading the owners manual on my `94 cutlas I have found a way to didable the auto locks.

I have at least 3 fuses that work the locks, one of them is in the COMPONENT CENTER not the FUSE BOX. It is labeled LOCK CONTROL in the manual, and removing it disables the auto locking feature without disabling the electric locks

Wow, jesse, you thkn that would work on 96 too?

So yall are only having problems whtn the park neutral swich is messed up. I thouhg I was going crazy, since its like impossible to lock yourself out, of my car for that matter.

Jon

The automatic locks would be a lot less bothersome if the doors could still be opened from the inside while locked like Fords!

I like the autolocks, but I don't like having to remember to press UNLOCK to open the door. I was thinking it would be pretty cool to put some kind of touch-sensor on the interior handle that automatically unlocks the door when you slide your fingers behind the handle.

The automatic locks would be a lot less bothersome if the doors could still be opened from the inside while locked like Fords!

I like the autolocks, but I don't like having to remember to press UNLOCK to open the door. I was thinking it would be pretty cool to put some kind of touch-sensor on the interior handle that automatically unlocks the door when you slide your fingers behind the handle.

Im with you here. Its annoying to have to unlock the doors. I havent even driven the car more than a few feet at a time yet either.

Alot of cars have auto locks that unlock when you turn the key off. I think my dad's Cutlass Ciera does that, but I forget. My parents Caravan unlocks itself.

well they do unlock but ONLY when u take the key out. more than half the time wen i have people they attempt to open the door before i take the key out. bbl ill post back in 20 mins

edit: ANYWAYS.....before my friends parents kicked me out of the hosue for NO reason. yea shawn is right about fords. my moms sabel does the autolock thin but its not a problem becasue u can still open the door from the inside while its locked. well im glad i disabled mine, no more problems!! :D