What are the odds? (Key codes)

Justin

4707c1d3.jpg

678a050b.jpg

Two white Luminas.

Both have the 3.1, 3 speed auto.

One's a '91, one's a '93.

They have identical ignition keys.

I either have way too many Ws, or GM has way too few key codes. Makes me want to check my other cars.

Nah, you can tell one key is slightly more worn than the other, but they are cut exactly the same. The less-worn key works fine in both vehicles, and neither column is that shot that you can pull the keys.

lol i love the fact that i can take the keys out of my car while its running....its good for the winter time where i can let the car warm up with the doors locked....i also disconnected my trunk release button inside the car so my amp and subs are more secure (the only way to open the trunk is with the key so you cant just break the window and push the button) so i dont have to shut the car off to open the trunk 8)

probably just worn too much maybe?

That is my guess too. You could probably yank the key out when the car is running in at least one of them.

Wait a minute. just the key pulls out right? not the whole cylinder. I'm guessing that can't be too good for the car.

the pins in the ignition cylinder wear out over time. my blazer, as long as i dont turn the cylinder into the locking position can be started/shut off without keys, for a couple months I had lost the keys, so as long as i never locked the doors, it was fine.

A few of the newer gp owners said that Gm only had 8 or so cuts for gp's. They have been able to use their keys in other gp's.

Now if thats true, that is really stupid. Theres gotta be more than just 8.

i've heard that too about the second gen grand prix, i heard it was either 8 or 9 different cuts.

so far however i haven't found another lock that my lumina keys fit, and the ignition key definately stays locked in the cyl, however on the camaro i can pull the key in and out with barely any effort.

for doors, the 97+s dont seem to have that many keys

when i was in ohio for idd, a fellow member locked his keys in his car.

on the 2nd key, we opened the door,. tried to start but failed there.

fwiw: his car was a 97, the key used to open the door was from a 99

so yea, theres not to many out there

Lol. Yeah the newer gps dont have great key coding. Heck, our Jeep liberty key unlocks my buddys 00 gp :lol:

(the keyblanks between the gm dbl-sided keys and chrysler keys are very similar)