DOHC bashing and w-body magazine?

havikx

the 3.4's not that bad. i hate how gm experimented with it and finally redid the 3.8's and they got as good/better gas mileage with not too different power (n/a) and then decided to build dohc motors again after all the problems. they did fix some, but getting rid of 3.8 pushrods for dohc's wasnt very advantageous (imo)

Well, you have to take off that strut bar thingy, the washer fluid tank, that fuse box, the air box, and whatever else. Too much work for a battery. And "half the engine bay" was sarcasm, FYI, I guess you didn;t get that one.

funny, last i checked a LH0 w-body has the EXACT same battery setup.

I love the 3.4's. The way they sound is sweet. My aunt has to floor it a lot when she gets on the interstate around Indianapolis. I love listening to the 3.4.

Then again, I've never worked on a 3.4. I do know that my aunt's mechaninc loves to complain every time he sees her red CS drive up.

I hate that my egr valve and my exhaust aren't done yet. :lol:

But on a more serious note, I hate them damn vacuum leaks oil leaks, and the freakin endless heater hose that likes to rust out.

I want to become an engineer for GM just so I can slap all of my co-workers for all this crap they put us backyard mechanics through.

I hate that ya cant just drop the 3.4l heads onto a 3800... :mrgreen:

in all fairness the engine isnt that bad to work on...besides the oil pump drive oring and you do not have to pull the rear head to change it...(i have posted my technique before) yeah the coilpack sux but it's not too bad...

have any of ya replaced plugs on a ford triton V10? how about pulling a head on any of the ford MOD motors? thems is bastards....same as MB and BMW...

have any of ya done the Timing belt on an Audi S6?....I wouldnt bitch about the 3.4L, it's far from being the worst engine out there....

so be glad you have a 3.4L guys....if ya really hate it that much drop a 3x00 in it... :wink:

just remember that good engineering is in the eye of the beholder...

oh and i love how it takes 35 seconds to change the blower motor in my 68 Ford, and I did a BMW blower motor over a year ago that book time was 7 hours....had to remove the dash from the vehicle! then i found out from a dealer tech that they normally pull the dash back and remove the front windshield to get it done in 3 hours...plus curing of the WS adhesive... sometimes it pays to know the shortcuts as most of ya who have replaced the alternator on the 3.4L know :wink:

persoanlly i love the engine, i can change plugs in 20 minutes flat with no cutting or removal of engine components, it has power where i like it, the alternator is no big deal to me, 1 hour and it's done. and as far as i'm concerned there is PLENTY of room in the engine bay to do prety much anything i need to. and if the cost of all that is a timing belt every 60k or so, i can deal with that.

:withstupid:

I want to become an engineer for GM just so I can slap all of my co-workers for all this crap they put us backyard mechanics through.

same here man, I call it the hitler motor.

Then u need 2 find a hard motor 2 work on, this things a breeze compaired 2 a lotta the shitboxes ive played with.

hate is a very strong word but yes they can be ignorant most of the time you try to wrench on one. theres fewer and fewer of them on the road so that makes getting parts for them ever harder in the coming years. if they were as easy and plentifull to maintain as a 3.8 they'd be great but theyre not even comparable imo and thus not worth the hassle to deal with

also a S6, or 5 litre bmw is not for the timid but also the performance is also not for the timid either. in my opinion kinda hard to compare working on a american DOHC to working on a super luxury german car. ours are supposed to be easier to work on for us and comparing them to highly technical flag ships just shows what kinda POS the 3.4 really is with its lame performance compared to a MOD ford, bmw, audi that actually gives as good as it takes

but I do see where your coming from, I'l use the old v12 jag instead, over engineered, over priced, migraine load of work and still a POS imo

if they were as easy and plentifull to maintain as a 3.8 they'd be great but theyre not even comparable imo and thus not worth the hassle to deal with

:roll:

well the 3.8 is common, and it is very reliable, i dont know much on maintnence tho, but they beat the 3.4 in reliablity by a long shot

the 3.8 has been around since the late 60's and has gone from everyting from a turbo motor, a mpg motor, a supercharged motor and 1 of the most respected motors in the industry. the 3.4 was a last minute effort from GM to battle the SHO, and it did it pretty well. If you have little to know experance working on motors, the 3.4 is a pain in the balls, but if you have played around with engines at all, theres nothing to hard on a 3.4.

Alternator, timing belt and o-ring are the 3 biggest issues a 3.4 will have

Head gaskets, intake gaskets, cracked intake manifold, i wont say fuel fires b/c thats can be argued, burning oil after high milage.

The 3.4 will last as long as a 3.8 provieded their both properly maintained and not beaten on.

Streetdreams, your learning (shows from ya first posts till now), the 3.4 isnt a bad motor, just gotta respect them

Prospeeder, :roll:

the 3.8 has been around since the late 60's and has gone from everyting from a turbo motor, a mpg motor, a supercharged motor and 1 of the most respected motors in the industry. the 3.4 was a last minute effort from GM to battle the SHO, and it did it pretty well. If you have little to know experance working on motors, the 3.4 is a pain in the balls, but if you have played around with engines at all, theres nothing to hard on a 3.4.

Alternator, timing belt and o-ring are the 3 biggest issues a 3.4 will have

Head gaskets, intake gaskets, cracked intake manifold, i wont say fuel fires b/c thats can be argued, burning oil after high milage.

The 3.4 will last as long as a 3.8 provieded their both properly maintained and not beaten on.

Streetdreams, your learning (shows from ya first posts till now), the 3.4 isnt a bad motor, just gotta respect them

Prospeeder, :roll:

i second that motion. i love 3.8's for what they are and what has been done to them so many times, but i definatly back the 3.4 100%. its not the most powerful, the best on gas, or most reliable...but it is an all around great motor. every mechanic hates to work on it..every gearhead loves to work on it.

Well, you have to take off that strut bar thingy, the washer fluid tank, that fuse box, the air box, and whatever else. Too much work for a battery. And "half the engine bay" was sarcasm, FYI, I guess you didn;t get that one.

:roll: Sounds the same like my 3100...

maybe you should get a pickup truck with a straight 6 :lol: